Feb 13, 2011, 4:07 PM EDT
One of the NHL’s underrated storylines is the Washington Capitals’ transition from a devil-may-care attacking team to a club far more prone to institute trap-like strategies. The team’s regular season results have been less-than-inspiring, but the true test of the new worldview will come during the playoffs.
If you ask me, the Capitals should focus on their strengths rather than trying to dance to the rhythms of league-wide convention. It’s difficult to imagine a situation in which Alex Ovechkin will become Selke-worthy two-way players, but after some playoff frustrations, perhaps it is understanding for Bruce Boudreau to change his mindset.
Time will tell if this change of pace works out for the Caps, but Mike Milbury wonders if Ovechkin & Co. will buy into the system change, as you can see from this clip.
Later on in this video, Pierre McGuire discusses the surging Phoenix Coyotes and the excellent work by perhaps the league’s biggest under-the-radar star Keith Yandle. The team is climbing the Pacific Division ranks … yet considering the fact that the Anaheim Ducks and Los Angeles Kings are also red-hot too, it’s going to be a dogfight until the end.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)