Feb 13, 2011, 4:07 PM EDT
One of the NHL’s underrated storylines is the Washington Capitals’ transition from a devil-may-care attacking team to a club far more prone to institute trap-like strategies. The team’s regular season results have been less-than-inspiring, but the true test of the new worldview will come during the playoffs.
If you ask me, the Capitals should focus on their strengths rather than trying to dance to the rhythms of league-wide convention. It’s difficult to imagine a situation in which Alex Ovechkin will become Selke-worthy two-way players, but after some playoff frustrations, perhaps it is understanding for Bruce Boudreau to change his mindset.
Time will tell if this change of pace works out for the Caps, but Mike Milbury wonders if Ovechkin & Co. will buy into the system change, as you can see from this clip.
Later on in this video, Pierre McGuire discusses the surging Phoenix Coyotes and the excellent work by perhaps the league’s biggest under-the-radar star Keith Yandle. The team is climbing the Pacific Division ranks … yet considering the fact that the Anaheim Ducks and Los Angeles Kings are also red-hot too, it’s going to be a dogfight until the end.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 46
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 65
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 32
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (82)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games