Feb 13, 2011, 4:07 PM EST
One of the NHL’s underrated storylines is the Washington Capitals’ transition from a devil-may-care attacking team to a club far more prone to institute trap-like strategies. The team’s regular season results have been less-than-inspiring, but the true test of the new worldview will come during the playoffs.
If you ask me, the Capitals should focus on their strengths rather than trying to dance to the rhythms of league-wide convention. It’s difficult to imagine a situation in which Alex Ovechkin will become Selke-worthy two-way players, but after some playoff frustrations, perhaps it is understanding for Bruce Boudreau to change his mindset.
Time will tell if this change of pace works out for the Caps, but Mike Milbury wonders if Ovechkin & Co. will buy into the system change, as you can see from this clip.
Later on in this video, Pierre McGuire discusses the surging Phoenix Coyotes and the excellent work by perhaps the league’s biggest under-the-radar star Keith Yandle. The team is climbing the Pacific Division ranks … yet considering the fact that the Anaheim Ducks and Los Angeles Kings are also red-hot too, it’s going to be a dogfight until the end.
- BREAKING: Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM 9
- Mike Richards clears waivers 22
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)