Feb 13, 2011, 4:07 PM EDT
One of the NHL’s underrated storylines is the Washington Capitals’ transition from a devil-may-care attacking team to a club far more prone to institute trap-like strategies. The team’s regular season results have been less-than-inspiring, but the true test of the new worldview will come during the playoffs.
If you ask me, the Capitals should focus on their strengths rather than trying to dance to the rhythms of league-wide convention. It’s difficult to imagine a situation in which Alex Ovechkin will become Selke-worthy two-way players, but after some playoff frustrations, perhaps it is understanding for Bruce Boudreau to change his mindset.
Time will tell if this change of pace works out for the Caps, but Mike Milbury wonders if Ovechkin & Co. will buy into the system change, as you can see from this clip.
Later on in this video, Pierre McGuire discusses the surging Phoenix Coyotes and the excellent work by perhaps the league’s biggest under-the-radar star Keith Yandle. The team is climbing the Pacific Division ranks … yet considering the fact that the Anaheim Ducks and Los Angeles Kings are also red-hot too, it’s going to be a dogfight until the end.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 2
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 7
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)