Feb 13, 2011, 4:07 PM EDT
One of the NHL’s underrated storylines is the Washington Capitals’ transition from a devil-may-care attacking team to a club far more prone to institute trap-like strategies. The team’s regular season results have been less-than-inspiring, but the true test of the new worldview will come during the playoffs.
If you ask me, the Capitals should focus on their strengths rather than trying to dance to the rhythms of league-wide convention. It’s difficult to imagine a situation in which Alex Ovechkin will become Selke-worthy two-way players, but after some playoff frustrations, perhaps it is understanding for Bruce Boudreau to change his mindset.
Time will tell if this change of pace works out for the Caps, but Mike Milbury wonders if Ovechkin & Co. will buy into the system change, as you can see from this clip.
Later on in this video, Pierre McGuire discusses the surging Phoenix Coyotes and the excellent work by perhaps the league’s biggest under-the-radar star Keith Yandle. The team is climbing the Pacific Division ranks … yet considering the fact that the Anaheim Ducks and Los Angeles Kings are also red-hot too, it’s going to be a dogfight until the end.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)