Feb 13, 2011, 3:48 PM EDT
What started as a slow game for Detroit turned into a controlling, stifling effort in beating Boston this afternoon in NBC’s Game of the Week at Joe Louis Arena.
The Bruins jumped out in the first thanks to goals from Tyler Seguin and Brad Marchand. Todd Bertuzzi’s goal in the first was all the Wings had to show for after getting out of the gates slowly. The Bruins ability to keep things moving would soon be at an end.
The Red Wings came out in the second more focused and were rewarded by goals from Pavel Datsyuk and Kris Draper to take the lead. When it came down to the third period, Detroit held on and stayed in control, capping things off with a great Todd Bertuzzi goal on a 2-on-1 with Johan Franzen. Jimmy Howard finished the game with 23 saves while Tim Thomas stopped 32 in a losing effort.
For Detroit, they sweep the home-and-home set with Boston and show that when they’re healthy and they’ve got all their lines clicking, they’re as dangerous as they’ve ever been. After beating the Northeast Division leaders twice in a row and winning three of their last four games, the Wings are once again looking good.
For Boston, their test against one the best in the West has not gone well. Aside from spurts where they took charge for a shift or two at a time, the Bruins struggled at keeping up with Detroit. Having their issues shown off by the Wings may force Boston to make a move to improve their ability to move the puck from the blue line.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)