Feb 13, 2011, 3:48 PM EDT
What started as a slow game for Detroit turned into a controlling, stifling effort in beating Boston this afternoon in NBC’s Game of the Week at Joe Louis Arena.
The Bruins jumped out in the first thanks to goals from Tyler Seguin and Brad Marchand. Todd Bertuzzi’s goal in the first was all the Wings had to show for after getting out of the gates slowly. The Bruins ability to keep things moving would soon be at an end.
The Red Wings came out in the second more focused and were rewarded by goals from Pavel Datsyuk and Kris Draper to take the lead. When it came down to the third period, Detroit held on and stayed in control, capping things off with a great Todd Bertuzzi goal on a 2-on-1 with Johan Franzen. Jimmy Howard finished the game with 23 saves while Tim Thomas stopped 32 in a losing effort.
For Detroit, they sweep the home-and-home set with Boston and show that when they’re healthy and they’ve got all their lines clicking, they’re as dangerous as they’ve ever been. After beating the Northeast Division leaders twice in a row and winning three of their last four games, the Wings are once again looking good.
For Boston, their test against one the best in the West has not gone well. Aside from spurts where they took charge for a shift or two at a time, the Bruins struggled at keeping up with Detroit. Having their issues shown off by the Wings may force Boston to make a move to improve their ability to move the puck from the blue line.
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 2
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 19
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 63
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles