Feb 13, 2011, 3:48 PM EDT
What started as a slow game for Detroit turned into a controlling, stifling effort in beating Boston this afternoon in NBC’s Game of the Week at Joe Louis Arena.
The Bruins jumped out in the first thanks to goals from Tyler Seguin and Brad Marchand. Todd Bertuzzi’s goal in the first was all the Wings had to show for after getting out of the gates slowly. The Bruins ability to keep things moving would soon be at an end.
The Red Wings came out in the second more focused and were rewarded by goals from Pavel Datsyuk and Kris Draper to take the lead. When it came down to the third period, Detroit held on and stayed in control, capping things off with a great Todd Bertuzzi goal on a 2-on-1 with Johan Franzen. Jimmy Howard finished the game with 23 saves while Tim Thomas stopped 32 in a losing effort.
For Detroit, they sweep the home-and-home set with Boston and show that when they’re healthy and they’ve got all their lines clicking, they’re as dangerous as they’ve ever been. After beating the Northeast Division leaders twice in a row and winning three of their last four games, the Wings are once again looking good.
For Boston, their test against one the best in the West has not gone well. Aside from spurts where they took charge for a shift or two at a time, the Bruins struggled at keeping up with Detroit. Having their issues shown off by the Wings may force Boston to make a move to improve their ability to move the puck from the blue line.
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 12
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 6
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 35
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 4
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)