Feb 13, 2011, 3:48 PM EDT
What started as a slow game for Detroit turned into a controlling, stifling effort in beating Boston this afternoon in NBC’s Game of the Week at Joe Louis Arena.
The Bruins jumped out in the first thanks to goals from Tyler Seguin and Brad Marchand. Todd Bertuzzi’s goal in the first was all the Wings had to show for after getting out of the gates slowly. The Bruins ability to keep things moving would soon be at an end.
The Red Wings came out in the second more focused and were rewarded by goals from Pavel Datsyuk and Kris Draper to take the lead. When it came down to the third period, Detroit held on and stayed in control, capping things off with a great Todd Bertuzzi goal on a 2-on-1 with Johan Franzen. Jimmy Howard finished the game with 23 saves while Tim Thomas stopped 32 in a losing effort.
For Detroit, they sweep the home-and-home set with Boston and show that when they’re healthy and they’ve got all their lines clicking, they’re as dangerous as they’ve ever been. After beating the Northeast Division leaders twice in a row and winning three of their last four games, the Wings are once again looking good.
For Boston, their test against one the best in the West has not gone well. Aside from spurts where they took charge for a shift or two at a time, the Bruins struggled at keeping up with Detroit. Having their issues shown off by the Wings may force Boston to make a move to improve their ability to move the puck from the blue line.
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 4
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 25
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 18
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)