Feb 13, 2011, 2:18 PM EDT
Detroit snapped out of their first period funk and came out buzzing in the second. Pavel Datsyuk tied the game up at 3:54 of the period with a rebound goal from a Brian Rafalski shot. Jiri Hudler also earned an assist on the play. Detroit carried play in the period and outshot the Bruins 19-6.
That exertion of control paid off when Kris Draper got a great pass from Patrick Eaves and skated in beating Tim Thomas up high to give the Wings a 3-2 lead. Darren Helm earned a secondary assist on the play.
It wasn’t all pretty for Detroit as they got a couple of brief scares when Henrik Zetterberg fell awkwardly after a hit from Zdeno Chara. Zetterberg went to the bench but returned to the game. Todd Bertuzzi also received treatment after being struck by a Nicklas Lidstrom shot during a power play. He also returned to action in the game.
Jimmy Howard stopped all six shots he saw that period and has 13 saves through two periods. Tim Thomas saved 17 shots in the second and has 26 saves after 40 minutes.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 33
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 11
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)