Feb 13, 2011, 1:27 PM EDT
The Bruins jumped out quickly in the first period at Joe Louis Arena when Blake Wheeler teamed up with Tyler Seguin to get a backhand stuff past Jimmy Howard just 1:29 into the first period. Slow starts have been an issue for Detroit recently and with the team playing inconsistently it causes problems.
Detroit was able to get one back quickly when at 6:09 of the period, Bruins rookie Brad Marchand turned over the puck in his own zone to Todd Bertuzzi who stuffed home a backhand past Tim Thomas to knot the game up at 1-1.
Marchand would redeem himself at 12:17 of the first when Michael Ryder threaded a beautiful pass to a streaking Marchand who tapped it home to put Boston ahead 2-1. For Marchand it’s his 16th goal of the season and the buzz about him getting into the Calder Trophy race will only pick up.
Tim Thomas made nine saves in the first while Howard saved seven shots. The Red Wings will start the second period with 1:06 of power play time to try and tie things up yet again. Slow starts at home have been such a problem at home for the Wings that they haven’t had a lead after the first period in their last nine home games.
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 0
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 27
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 33
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona