Feb 13, 2011, 1:27 PM EDT
The Bruins jumped out quickly in the first period at Joe Louis Arena when Blake Wheeler teamed up with Tyler Seguin to get a backhand stuff past Jimmy Howard just 1:29 into the first period. Slow starts have been an issue for Detroit recently and with the team playing inconsistently it causes problems.
Detroit was able to get one back quickly when at 6:09 of the period, Bruins rookie Brad Marchand turned over the puck in his own zone to Todd Bertuzzi who stuffed home a backhand past Tim Thomas to knot the game up at 1-1.
Marchand would redeem himself at 12:17 of the first when Michael Ryder threaded a beautiful pass to a streaking Marchand who tapped it home to put Boston ahead 2-1. For Marchand it’s his 16th goal of the season and the buzz about him getting into the Calder Trophy race will only pick up.
Tim Thomas made nine saves in the first while Howard saved seven shots. The Red Wings will start the second period with 1:06 of power play time to try and tie things up yet again. Slow starts at home have been such a problem at home for the Wings that they haven’t had a lead after the first period in their last nine home games.
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 65
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)