Feb 13, 2011, 1:27 PM EDT
The Bruins jumped out quickly in the first period at Joe Louis Arena when Blake Wheeler teamed up with Tyler Seguin to get a backhand stuff past Jimmy Howard just 1:29 into the first period. Slow starts have been an issue for Detroit recently and with the team playing inconsistently it causes problems.
Detroit was able to get one back quickly when at 6:09 of the period, Bruins rookie Brad Marchand turned over the puck in his own zone to Todd Bertuzzi who stuffed home a backhand past Tim Thomas to knot the game up at 1-1.
Marchand would redeem himself at 12:17 of the first when Michael Ryder threaded a beautiful pass to a streaking Marchand who tapped it home to put Boston ahead 2-1. For Marchand it’s his 16th goal of the season and the buzz about him getting into the Calder Trophy race will only pick up.
Tim Thomas made nine saves in the first while Howard saved seven shots. The Red Wings will start the second period with 1:06 of power play time to try and tie things up yet again. Slow starts at home have been such a problem at home for the Wings that they haven’t had a lead after the first period in their last nine home games.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 5
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 36
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 25
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)