Feb 13, 2011, 1:27 PM EDT
The Bruins jumped out quickly in the first period at Joe Louis Arena when Blake Wheeler teamed up with Tyler Seguin to get a backhand stuff past Jimmy Howard just 1:29 into the first period. Slow starts have been an issue for Detroit recently and with the team playing inconsistently it causes problems.
Detroit was able to get one back quickly when at 6:09 of the period, Bruins rookie Brad Marchand turned over the puck in his own zone to Todd Bertuzzi who stuffed home a backhand past Tim Thomas to knot the game up at 1-1.
Marchand would redeem himself at 12:17 of the first when Michael Ryder threaded a beautiful pass to a streaking Marchand who tapped it home to put Boston ahead 2-1. For Marchand it’s his 16th goal of the season and the buzz about him getting into the Calder Trophy race will only pick up.
Tim Thomas made nine saves in the first while Howard saved seven shots. The Red Wings will start the second period with 1:06 of power play time to try and tie things up yet again. Slow starts at home have been such a problem at home for the Wings that they haven’t had a lead after the first period in their last nine home games.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)