Feb 13, 2011, 1:27 PM EST
The Bruins jumped out quickly in the first period at Joe Louis Arena when Blake Wheeler teamed up with Tyler Seguin to get a backhand stuff past Jimmy Howard just 1:29 into the first period. Slow starts have been an issue for Detroit recently and with the team playing inconsistently it causes problems.
Detroit was able to get one back quickly when at 6:09 of the period, Bruins rookie Brad Marchand turned over the puck in his own zone to Todd Bertuzzi who stuffed home a backhand past Tim Thomas to knot the game up at 1-1.
Marchand would redeem himself at 12:17 of the first when Michael Ryder threaded a beautiful pass to a streaking Marchand who tapped it home to put Boston ahead 2-1. For Marchand it’s his 16th goal of the season and the buzz about him getting into the Calder Trophy race will only pick up.
Tim Thomas made nine saves in the first while Howard saved seven shots. The Red Wings will start the second period with 1:06 of power play time to try and tie things up yet again. Slow starts at home have been such a problem at home for the Wings that they haven’t had a lead after the first period in their last nine home games.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)