Feb 13, 2011, 2:34 PM EDT
When people compare Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux, one of the most common criticisms of “Super Mario” is the notion that he wasn’t an “ambassador” for the game.
That doesn’t mean that the Hall of Famer went through his NHL career without uttering a word, as he was a notable critic of the league’s “clutch and grab” era. The Pittsburgh Penguins’ partial owner showed that he can speak outside of platitudes and cliches when he released a resounding statement moments ago regarding the ugly New York Islanders-Penguins game from Friday.
Lemieux apparently isn’t satisfied with the suspensions and fines levied by the league against the Islanders. (To refresh your memory, the NHL suspended Trevor Gillies for nine games and Matt Martin for four while handing the Islanders a $100,000 fine.)
While many of the Penguins’ critics will linger on the fact that they employ Matt Cooke, it’s a refreshingly candid take in an atmosphere in which press releases are usually as bland as rice cakes. Here is Lemieux’s full statement, via the Penguins:
“Hockey is a tough, physical game, and it always should be. But what happened Friday night on Long Island wasn’t hockey. It was a travesty. It was painful to watch the game I love turn into a sideshow like that.
“The NHL had a chance to send a clear and strong message that those kinds of actions are unacceptable and embarrassing to the sport. It failed.
“We, as a league, must do a better job of protecting the integrity of the game and the safety of our players. We must make it clear that those kinds of actions will not be tolerated and will be met with meaningful disciplinary action.
“If the events relating to Friday night reflect the state of the league, I need to re-think whether I want to be a part of it.”
Well, tell us how you really feel, Mario.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 20
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 13
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)