Feb 13, 2011, 11:39 PM EST
(Want a look into the near-future of the Pacific Division? Stay tuned for this week’s Pacific Division Watch later tonight.)
At this point, it’s not even every other week that the Pacific’s hot teams shift anymore. The Anaheim Ducks sit squarely in the “currently red-freaking-hot” group with the Phoenix Coyotes and Los Angeles Kings at the moment, as they easily dispatched the Edmonton Oilers 4-0.
Teemu Selanne scored what ended up being the game-winning goal just 34 seconds into the game. With 17 goals this season, Selanne is proving that he still has plenty left, even at his advanced age.
Bobby Ryan scored twice while Brandon McMillian scored Anaheim’s other goal as the Ducks cruised to an easy win against the NHL’s lowest ranked teams. Jonas Hiller earned what must have been one of the easiest wins of his career, only needing to stop 12 shots to get his 26th victory of the season.
We’ll provide more analysis of the division later tonight, but the Ducks moved into a virtual tie with the Dallas Stars for first in the Pacific. Dallas is technically ahead of them since they arrived at 68 points in one less game, but the Ducks are extremely close behind with one more win. Meanwhile the San Jose Sharks, Phoenix Coyotes and Los Angeles Kings are right behind them, with no Pacific team more than three points behind.
It should be awfully interesting to see this one shakes out, as the Pacific is clearly the most competitive division in the league (and might be in the discussion across all sports, too).
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 4
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 50
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)