Feb 13, 2011, 11:39 PM EDT
(Want a look into the near-future of the Pacific Division? Stay tuned for this week’s Pacific Division Watch later tonight.)
At this point, it’s not even every other week that the Pacific’s hot teams shift anymore. The Anaheim Ducks sit squarely in the “currently red-freaking-hot” group with the Phoenix Coyotes and Los Angeles Kings at the moment, as they easily dispatched the Edmonton Oilers 4-0.
Teemu Selanne scored what ended up being the game-winning goal just 34 seconds into the game. With 17 goals this season, Selanne is proving that he still has plenty left, even at his advanced age.
Bobby Ryan scored twice while Brandon McMillian scored Anaheim’s other goal as the Ducks cruised to an easy win against the NHL’s lowest ranked teams. Jonas Hiller earned what must have been one of the easiest wins of his career, only needing to stop 12 shots to get his 26th victory of the season.
We’ll provide more analysis of the division later tonight, but the Ducks moved into a virtual tie with the Dallas Stars for first in the Pacific. Dallas is technically ahead of them since they arrived at 68 points in one less game, but the Ducks are extremely close behind with one more win. Meanwhile the San Jose Sharks, Phoenix Coyotes and Los Angeles Kings are right behind them, with no Pacific team more than three points behind.
It should be awfully interesting to see this one shakes out, as the Pacific is clearly the most competitive division in the league (and might be in the discussion across all sports, too).
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)