Feb 13, 2011, 11:39 PM EDT
(Want a look into the near-future of the Pacific Division? Stay tuned for this week’s Pacific Division Watch later tonight.)
At this point, it’s not even every other week that the Pacific’s hot teams shift anymore. The Anaheim Ducks sit squarely in the “currently red-freaking-hot” group with the Phoenix Coyotes and Los Angeles Kings at the moment, as they easily dispatched the Edmonton Oilers 4-0.
Teemu Selanne scored what ended up being the game-winning goal just 34 seconds into the game. With 17 goals this season, Selanne is proving that he still has plenty left, even at his advanced age.
Bobby Ryan scored twice while Brandon McMillian scored Anaheim’s other goal as the Ducks cruised to an easy win against the NHL’s lowest ranked teams. Jonas Hiller earned what must have been one of the easiest wins of his career, only needing to stop 12 shots to get his 26th victory of the season.
We’ll provide more analysis of the division later tonight, but the Ducks moved into a virtual tie with the Dallas Stars for first in the Pacific. Dallas is technically ahead of them since they arrived at 68 points in one less game, but the Ducks are extremely close behind with one more win. Meanwhile the San Jose Sharks, Phoenix Coyotes and Los Angeles Kings are right behind them, with no Pacific team more than three points behind.
It should be awfully interesting to see this one shakes out, as the Pacific is clearly the most competitive division in the league (and might be in the discussion across all sports, too).
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39