Feb 12, 2011, 1:44 AM EDT
If you asked a hockey fan which of this week’s games provided a Gordie Howe hat trick – one player scoring at least one goal, an assist and getting in a fight during a single game – then most would probably guess that it happened in the Boston Bruins’ beating of the Montreal Canadiens or the New York Islanders’ ugly bout with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
After all, both games featured plenty of hate, fights and goals.
As it turns out, Travis “Harmonic” Hamonic* produced a Howe-trick amid the 346 penalty minutes and 12 total goals that happened in the Pens-Isles game. Hamonic scored the first goal of the game, provided two assists (one on a P.A. Parentau power-play goal, the other on a John Tavares goal to start the second period) and got in two fights during a busy nine and a half minutes of work. Check out video footage of his hectic evening at the bottom of this post.
* – Some might call this the least creative nickname possible, but my guess is that his teammates go for the even-less-inspired “Hammy.” Modern hockey players just don’t respect the “art” of creating nicknames.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 1
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)