Feb 12, 2011, 1:44 AM EDT
If you asked a hockey fan which of this week’s games provided a Gordie Howe hat trick – one player scoring at least one goal, an assist and getting in a fight during a single game – then most would probably guess that it happened in the Boston Bruins’ beating of the Montreal Canadiens or the New York Islanders’ ugly bout with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
After all, both games featured plenty of hate, fights and goals.
As it turns out, Travis “Harmonic” Hamonic* produced a Howe-trick amid the 346 penalty minutes and 12 total goals that happened in the Pens-Isles game. Hamonic scored the first goal of the game, provided two assists (one on a P.A. Parentau power-play goal, the other on a John Tavares goal to start the second period) and got in two fights during a busy nine and a half minutes of work. Check out video footage of his hectic evening at the bottom of this post.
* – Some might call this the least creative nickname possible, but my guess is that his teammates go for the even-less-inspired “Hammy.” Modern hockey players just don’t respect the “art” of creating nicknames.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 17
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)