Feb 12, 2011, 1:44 AM EST
If you asked a hockey fan which of this week’s games provided a Gordie Howe hat trick – one player scoring at least one goal, an assist and getting in a fight during a single game – then most would probably guess that it happened in the Boston Bruins’ beating of the Montreal Canadiens or the New York Islanders’ ugly bout with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
After all, both games featured plenty of hate, fights and goals.
As it turns out, Travis “Harmonic” Hamonic* produced a Howe-trick amid the 346 penalty minutes and 12 total goals that happened in the Pens-Isles game. Hamonic scored the first goal of the game, provided two assists (one on a P.A. Parentau power-play goal, the other on a John Tavares goal to start the second period) and got in two fights during a busy nine and a half minutes of work. Check out video footage of his hectic evening at the bottom of this post.
* – Some might call this the least creative nickname possible, but my guess is that his teammates go for the even-less-inspired “Hammy.” Modern hockey players just don’t respect the “art” of creating nicknames.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 20
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)