Feb 12, 2011, 3:45 PM EDT
Much like the scorekeepers who needed some time to determine the penalty minutes for last night’s ugly Pittsburgh Penguins-New York Islanders game, TSN reports that the NHL won’t make an announcement regarding suspensions and fines for all the incidents until tonight.
The one thing we already know is that Penguins enforcer Eric Godard should face an automatic 10-game suspension for leaving the team’s bench to engage Michael Haley in a fight. The thought was that Penguins coach Dan Bylsma would also serve a one-game suspension for that incident, but TSN reports that he isn’t guaranteed one.
Three Islanders are scheduled for in-person meetings with the league around 5 pm ET today: Matt Martin, Trevor Gillies and Zenon Konopka. Such meetings would allow for suspensions exceeding six games, although that doesn’t guarantee that any suspensions will be handed out either.
Gillies and Martin were among the game’s worst offenders for their on-ice incidents, but TSN points out that Konopka might be guilty of a more specific infraction.
Konopka could be facing a potential violation of rule 70.2, which involves coming onto ice on a legal change for purposes of starting an altercation.
Naturally, we will keep you informed as the league tries to clean up this mess. Both the Islanders (at Buffalo) and Penguins (at the Rangers) play games on Sunday, so the NHL needs to make a decision today. This could be a precedent-setting series of fines and suspensions, so it should be very interesting to see how this plays out.
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 5
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 15
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28