Feb 12, 2011, 3:45 PM EDT
Much like the scorekeepers who needed some time to determine the penalty minutes for last night’s ugly Pittsburgh Penguins-New York Islanders game, TSN reports that the NHL won’t make an announcement regarding suspensions and fines for all the incidents until tonight.
The one thing we already know is that Penguins enforcer Eric Godard should face an automatic 10-game suspension for leaving the team’s bench to engage Michael Haley in a fight. The thought was that Penguins coach Dan Bylsma would also serve a one-game suspension for that incident, but TSN reports that he isn’t guaranteed one.
Three Islanders are scheduled for in-person meetings with the league around 5 pm ET today: Matt Martin, Trevor Gillies and Zenon Konopka. Such meetings would allow for suspensions exceeding six games, although that doesn’t guarantee that any suspensions will be handed out either.
Gillies and Martin were among the game’s worst offenders for their on-ice incidents, but TSN points out that Konopka might be guilty of a more specific infraction.
Konopka could be facing a potential violation of rule 70.2, which involves coming onto ice on a legal change for purposes of starting an altercation.
Naturally, we will keep you informed as the league tries to clean up this mess. Both the Islanders (at Buffalo) and Penguins (at the Rangers) play games on Sunday, so the NHL needs to make a decision today. This could be a precedent-setting series of fines and suspensions, so it should be very interesting to see how this plays out.
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 1
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 36
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 42
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (134)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)