Feb 12, 2011, 3:22 PM EDT
While I don’t totally buy-in to the concept of a TV telecast “jinxing” a team, such theorists surely got a boost this afternoon. Right after the Capitals’ local crew discussed the fact that the team is among the league’s best at shutting down the competition during the third period, Kings forward Andrei Loktionov scored what would be the game-winning (but far from the last) goal. It’s much like when an NBA game shows a stat that a player hasn’t missed a shot all game, only for that player to shoot an air ball moments later.
Loktionov scored the go-ahead goal in the third period, then Michal Handzus and Jarret Stoll scored goals as the Capitals seemed deflated late in the contest. (Anze Kopitar ended up scoring the tying goal in the middle of the second period.)
It looked like Washington might run away with the contest after Alex Ovechkin scored the game’s first goal 1:06 into the game. Yet the Caps seemed pretty flat most of the afternoon, only firing 23 shots on Kings backup Jonathan Bernier, who cruised to his sixth win of the season.
The Kings have been scrapping together quite a run lately, going 6-0-2 in their last eight games. The most impressive part is that they’ve earned points (3-0-2) in the first five of their 10 road games. Los Angeles still remains one point out of the top eight in the West, but they’re in a very good spot to make the playoffs now.
Meanwhile the Capitals have been struggling lately, going 2-3-2 in their last seven games, including a 1-2 mark in their last three home games. They also face a tough run, with a five game road trip beginning against the Phoenix Coyotes on Monday.
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 15
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 23
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 23
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 11
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 80
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 25
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 58
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 89
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (89)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT