Feb 12, 2011, 11:59 AM EDT
While NBC will have you covered for Hockey Day in America on Sunday, February 20th, today marks one of the best days on the puck calendar: Hockey Day in Canada.
The best part is that you don’t have to be a Canadian to enjoy it.
If you live in Canada/have access to the CBC: the festivities begin at noon ET. The network will cover a full of day’s worth of features, as well as three games between all six of the Canadian teams.
Game 1: Ottawa Senators at Edmonton Oilers (begins around 2:00pm ET).
Game 2: Toronto Maple Leafs at Montreal Canadiens (begins around 7:00pm ET).
Game 3: Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks (begins around 10:00pm ET).
If you’re in America/have access to the U.S. version of NHL Network and Center Ice and/or Game Center Live: NHL.com provides a helpful roadmap to how to follow the full day of action, including features and vignettes.
NHL.com also provides a summary of the features, which you can watch on those aforementioned channel(s). Along with Sidney Crosby donating 87 sets of hockey equipment to children in Nova Scotia with the NHL Players Association’s Goals and Dreams Fund, here are some of the events taking place.
From Quebec City, CBC will have coverage of the 52nd Quebec International Pee-Wee Tournament, which features 2,300 players from 16 countries competing for the title of “World Champion of Pee Wee Hockey.”
In Oakville, Ont., CBC will cover the Scotiabank Girls Hockeyfest, where 300 girls from the Oakville Hornets Girls Hockey Association get put through their paces by Canadian Olympic hockey gold medalist Tessa Bonhomme.
CBC will follow the Scotiabank Prairie Pond Hockey Challenge from Wascana Lake in Regina, Sask. Eighty teams will compete in Saskatchewan’s largest pond hockey tournament.
And in Victoria, B.C., CBC will show highlights from Hockey Night in Canada’s Play On! street hockey tournament, as 60 teams compete for the right to hoist the Redwood Cup.
It sounds like a great time. Hopefully you can follow along, wherever you’re located.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 71
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 54
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 34
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)