Feb 11, 2011, 3:02 AM EDT
These two teams saved all the offense for the third period when Jeff Carter and Daniel Briere scored power play goals to get the Flyers ahead 2-0. Tuomo Ruutu would score shortly after Briere did to cut the lead but the Flyers would hold on to the win on the strength of Brian Boucher’s 31 saves. The win helps the Flyers stay ahead of Pittsburgh in the East while Carolina was unable to extend their lead on Atlanta for the eighth spot. The loss also helps Buffalo to creep ever closer to them as the Sabres moved to within two points after their overtime win tonight.
Pittsburgh 2 – Los Angeles 1 (F/OT)
Buffalo 3 – Florida 2 (F/OT)
Speaking of the Sabres, they turned in another gutsy effort and a victory in overtime as Tyler Myers scored the game-winner with five seconds left in overtime. The Sabres overcame surrendering the lead twice in regulation and showed signs that they’re perhaps mentally tougher than previously thought. Mike Weber and Thomas Vanek also scored for Buffalo while Steve Bernier and Marty Reasoner scored for Florida. Ryan Miller held strong stopping 24 shots in the win. Tomas Vokoun also stopped 24 shots but unfortunately for him, he faced one more shot than Miller did.
New Jersey 2 – Toronto 1 (F/OT)
NY Islanders 4 – Montreal 3 (F/SO)
After an incredible rock ‘em, sock ‘em game against the Bruins last night, it’s only fitting that the Habs were a bit taxed in facing the Islanders. The Islanders with rookie Mikko Koskinen in goal were able to take advantage and take out the Habs in the shootout. Kyle Okposo scored the winner in the skills competition while Koskinen held strong to earn his first NHL victory. Michael Grabner scored twice for the Isles in regulation while Koskinen stopped 37 shots and kept the Habs off the board completely in the shootout.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 1
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)