Feb 11, 2011, 3:02 AM EST
These two teams saved all the offense for the third period when Jeff Carter and Daniel Briere scored power play goals to get the Flyers ahead 2-0. Tuomo Ruutu would score shortly after Briere did to cut the lead but the Flyers would hold on to the win on the strength of Brian Boucher’s 31 saves. The win helps the Flyers stay ahead of Pittsburgh in the East while Carolina was unable to extend their lead on Atlanta for the eighth spot. The loss also helps Buffalo to creep ever closer to them as the Sabres moved to within two points after their overtime win tonight.
Pittsburgh 2 – Los Angeles 1 (F/OT)
Buffalo 3 – Florida 2 (F/OT)
Speaking of the Sabres, they turned in another gutsy effort and a victory in overtime as Tyler Myers scored the game-winner with five seconds left in overtime. The Sabres overcame surrendering the lead twice in regulation and showed signs that they’re perhaps mentally tougher than previously thought. Mike Weber and Thomas Vanek also scored for Buffalo while Steve Bernier and Marty Reasoner scored for Florida. Ryan Miller held strong stopping 24 shots in the win. Tomas Vokoun also stopped 24 shots but unfortunately for him, he faced one more shot than Miller did.
New Jersey 2 – Toronto 1 (F/OT)
NY Islanders 4 – Montreal 3 (F/SO)
After an incredible rock ‘em, sock ‘em game against the Bruins last night, it’s only fitting that the Habs were a bit taxed in facing the Islanders. The Islanders with rookie Mikko Koskinen in goal were able to take advantage and take out the Habs in the shootout. Kyle Okposo scored the winner in the skills competition while Koskinen held strong to earn his first NHL victory. Michael Grabner scored twice for the Isles in regulation while Koskinen stopped 37 shots and kept the Habs off the board completely in the shootout.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)