Feb 11, 2011, 3:02 AM EST
These two teams saved all the offense for the third period when Jeff Carter and Daniel Briere scored power play goals to get the Flyers ahead 2-0. Tuomo Ruutu would score shortly after Briere did to cut the lead but the Flyers would hold on to the win on the strength of Brian Boucher’s 31 saves. The win helps the Flyers stay ahead of Pittsburgh in the East while Carolina was unable to extend their lead on Atlanta for the eighth spot. The loss also helps Buffalo to creep ever closer to them as the Sabres moved to within two points after their overtime win tonight.
Pittsburgh 2 – Los Angeles 1 (F/OT)
Buffalo 3 – Florida 2 (F/OT)
Speaking of the Sabres, they turned in another gutsy effort and a victory in overtime as Tyler Myers scored the game-winner with five seconds left in overtime. The Sabres overcame surrendering the lead twice in regulation and showed signs that they’re perhaps mentally tougher than previously thought. Mike Weber and Thomas Vanek also scored for Buffalo while Steve Bernier and Marty Reasoner scored for Florida. Ryan Miller held strong stopping 24 shots in the win. Tomas Vokoun also stopped 24 shots but unfortunately for him, he faced one more shot than Miller did.
New Jersey 2 – Toronto 1 (F/OT)
NY Islanders 4 – Montreal 3 (F/SO)
After an incredible rock ‘em, sock ‘em game against the Bruins last night, it’s only fitting that the Habs were a bit taxed in facing the Islanders. The Islanders with rookie Mikko Koskinen in goal were able to take advantage and take out the Habs in the shootout. Kyle Okposo scored the winner in the skills competition while Koskinen held strong to earn his first NHL victory. Michael Grabner scored twice for the Isles in regulation while Koskinen stopped 37 shots and kept the Habs off the board completely in the shootout.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 7
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 15
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 15
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)