Feb 11, 2011, 3:02 AM EDT
These two teams saved all the offense for the third period when Jeff Carter and Daniel Briere scored power play goals to get the Flyers ahead 2-0. Tuomo Ruutu would score shortly after Briere did to cut the lead but the Flyers would hold on to the win on the strength of Brian Boucher’s 31 saves. The win helps the Flyers stay ahead of Pittsburgh in the East while Carolina was unable to extend their lead on Atlanta for the eighth spot. The loss also helps Buffalo to creep ever closer to them as the Sabres moved to within two points after their overtime win tonight.
Pittsburgh 2 – Los Angeles 1 (F/OT)
Buffalo 3 – Florida 2 (F/OT)
Speaking of the Sabres, they turned in another gutsy effort and a victory in overtime as Tyler Myers scored the game-winner with five seconds left in overtime. The Sabres overcame surrendering the lead twice in regulation and showed signs that they’re perhaps mentally tougher than previously thought. Mike Weber and Thomas Vanek also scored for Buffalo while Steve Bernier and Marty Reasoner scored for Florida. Ryan Miller held strong stopping 24 shots in the win. Tomas Vokoun also stopped 24 shots but unfortunately for him, he faced one more shot than Miller did.
New Jersey 2 – Toronto 1 (F/OT)
NY Islanders 4 – Montreal 3 (F/SO)
After an incredible rock ’em, sock ’em game against the Bruins last night, it’s only fitting that the Habs were a bit taxed in facing the Islanders. The Islanders with rookie Mikko Koskinen in goal were able to take advantage and take out the Habs in the shootout. Kyle Okposo scored the winner in the skills competition while Koskinen held strong to earn his first NHL victory. Michael Grabner scored twice for the Isles in regulation while Koskinen stopped 37 shots and kept the Habs off the board completely in the shootout.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)