Feb 11, 2011, 3:02 AM EDT
These two teams saved all the offense for the third period when Jeff Carter and Daniel Briere scored power play goals to get the Flyers ahead 2-0. Tuomo Ruutu would score shortly after Briere did to cut the lead but the Flyers would hold on to the win on the strength of Brian Boucher’s 31 saves. The win helps the Flyers stay ahead of Pittsburgh in the East while Carolina was unable to extend their lead on Atlanta for the eighth spot. The loss also helps Buffalo to creep ever closer to them as the Sabres moved to within two points after their overtime win tonight.
Pittsburgh 2 – Los Angeles 1 (F/OT)
Buffalo 3 – Florida 2 (F/OT)
Speaking of the Sabres, they turned in another gutsy effort and a victory in overtime as Tyler Myers scored the game-winner with five seconds left in overtime. The Sabres overcame surrendering the lead twice in regulation and showed signs that they’re perhaps mentally tougher than previously thought. Mike Weber and Thomas Vanek also scored for Buffalo while Steve Bernier and Marty Reasoner scored for Florida. Ryan Miller held strong stopping 24 shots in the win. Tomas Vokoun also stopped 24 shots but unfortunately for him, he faced one more shot than Miller did.
New Jersey 2 – Toronto 1 (F/OT)
NY Islanders 4 – Montreal 3 (F/SO)
After an incredible rock ’em, sock ’em game against the Bruins last night, it’s only fitting that the Habs were a bit taxed in facing the Islanders. The Islanders with rookie Mikko Koskinen in goal were able to take advantage and take out the Habs in the shootout. Kyle Okposo scored the winner in the skills competition while Koskinen held strong to earn his first NHL victory. Michael Grabner scored twice for the Isles in regulation while Koskinen stopped 37 shots and kept the Habs off the board completely in the shootout.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (67)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)