Feb 11, 2011, 9:00 PM EDT
After a minor injury blip on the radar that could have meant something more (but luckily did not), the Anaheim Ducks announced that they activated franchise goalie Jonas Hiller from the injured reserve. The team shipped Timo Pielmeier back to the ECHL after having him sit on the bench while Curtis McElhinney received some rare starts in Hiller’s absence.
Hiller will probably dress for the Ducks tonight, but Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register believes that McElhinney will get the start against his former team, the Calgary Flames.
The minor injury might be a red flag to Anaheim brass that Hiller’s workload has been a bit excessive. If there’s one roster “luxury” that is becoming relatively easy-to-come-by this season, it’s a solid backup. The team made a nice low-risk move to sign Ray Emery, but they need to make sure that they are comfortable with their goalie rotation soon (preferably before the trade deadline). After all, Anaheim fans would hate to see the Ducks’ scrappy season fall apart if Hiller wears down and the club has no one else to turn to.
- Report: Wild’s Harding likely out months, not weeks 0
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 9
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 38
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 17
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 7
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 59
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (60)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (42)