Feb 11, 2011, 8:07 PM EDT
Obviously you cannot use a single injury as an excuse for a team’s tailspin. Yet since Tobias Enstrom went down with a broken finger, the Atlanta Thrashers went 1-4-1 in an ugly six game stretch.
Dustin Byfuglien got a lot of credit for the Thrashers’ surprising run to playoff contention, but Enstrom has been his less-heralded partner in crime. He probably would’ve gotten a modicum of credit and attention being that he was a 2011 NHL All-Star Game selection, but that broken finger kept him out of the events.
While the Thrashers are clearly struggling with a four-game losing streak, the team is only one point and two wins behind the eighth place Carolina Hurricanes (and they’ve only played in one more game than the Canes). In other words, their Enstrom-free slump hasn’t completely buried them, and here’s the best news: the team activated him from the injured reserve today. In fact, he’s currently playing in an important game against the New York Rangers right now.
Will the return of Enstrom be enough to push the Thrashers back into the top eight now and when in matters most: at the end of the season? We’ll have to wait and see, but the Thrashers made an addition that is far more appealing than any trade deadline acquisition today.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 17
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 76
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 95
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)