Feb 11, 2011, 8:07 PM EDT
Obviously you cannot use a single injury as an excuse for a team’s tailspin. Yet since Tobias Enstrom went down with a broken finger, the Atlanta Thrashers went 1-4-1 in an ugly six game stretch.
Dustin Byfuglien got a lot of credit for the Thrashers’ surprising run to playoff contention, but Enstrom has been his less-heralded partner in crime. He probably would’ve gotten a modicum of credit and attention being that he was a 2011 NHL All-Star Game selection, but that broken finger kept him out of the events.
While the Thrashers are clearly struggling with a four-game losing streak, the team is only one point and two wins behind the eighth place Carolina Hurricanes (and they’ve only played in one more game than the Canes). In other words, their Enstrom-free slump hasn’t completely buried them, and here’s the best news: the team activated him from the injured reserve today. In fact, he’s currently playing in an important game against the New York Rangers right now.
Will the return of Enstrom be enough to push the Thrashers back into the top eight now and when in matters most: at the end of the season? We’ll have to wait and see, but the Thrashers made an addition that is far more appealing than any trade deadline acquisition today.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)