Feb 10, 2011, 4:43 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning appear to be in the driver’s seat in the Southeast Division, as they hold a four point lead and four more wins over the Washington Capitals. There are still plenty of games left, though, and things just got that much tougher for the Bolts.
It’s important to note that this is far from an official injury report, as Erlendsson writes that the team hasn’t determined the exact severity of the injury just yet. The Lightning are currently gathering medical opinions on the matter, so at the moment, Malone will be listed as day-to-day.
Still, that two month estimate came from Lightning head coach Guy Boucher, so it’s not like that window of time is totally out of order. Such a window would sideline the tough forward until the beginning of the playoffs.
Malone might not be a marquee talent along the lines of Steven Stamkos, but he is a player who regularly shows a willingness to go to the toughest areas in front of the net, not to mention the kind of skill it takes to finish such chances. The gritty forward is having a slightly slower goal-scoring season (11 in 2010-11 after scoring at least 21 goals the previous three campaigns), but he will absolutely be missed if this reading is correct.
We will keep you updated as the team gathers information about Malone’s injury.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)