Feb 10, 2011, 4:43 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning appear to be in the driver’s seat in the Southeast Division, as they hold a four point lead and four more wins over the Washington Capitals. There are still plenty of games left, though, and things just got that much tougher for the Bolts.
It’s important to note that this is far from an official injury report, as Erlendsson writes that the team hasn’t determined the exact severity of the injury just yet. The Lightning are currently gathering medical opinions on the matter, so at the moment, Malone will be listed as day-to-day.
Still, that two month estimate came from Lightning head coach Guy Boucher, so it’s not like that window of time is totally out of order. Such a window would sideline the tough forward until the beginning of the playoffs.
Malone might not be a marquee talent along the lines of Steven Stamkos, but he is a player who regularly shows a willingness to go to the toughest areas in front of the net, not to mention the kind of skill it takes to finish such chances. The gritty forward is having a slightly slower goal-scoring season (11 in 2010-11 after scoring at least 21 goals the previous three campaigns), but he will absolutely be missed if this reading is correct.
We will keep you updated as the team gathers information about Malone’s injury.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)