Feb 10, 2011, 4:43 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning appear to be in the driver’s seat in the Southeast Division, as they hold a four point lead and four more wins over the Washington Capitals. There are still plenty of games left, though, and things just got that much tougher for the Bolts.
It’s important to note that this is far from an official injury report, as Erlendsson writes that the team hasn’t determined the exact severity of the injury just yet. The Lightning are currently gathering medical opinions on the matter, so at the moment, Malone will be listed as day-to-day.
Still, that two month estimate came from Lightning head coach Guy Boucher, so it’s not like that window of time is totally out of order. Such a window would sideline the tough forward until the beginning of the playoffs.
Malone might not be a marquee talent along the lines of Steven Stamkos, but he is a player who regularly shows a willingness to go to the toughest areas in front of the net, not to mention the kind of skill it takes to finish such chances. The gritty forward is having a slightly slower goal-scoring season (11 in 2010-11 after scoring at least 21 goals the previous three campaigns), but he will absolutely be missed if this reading is correct.
We will keep you updated as the team gathers information about Malone’s injury.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 11
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 30
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)