Feb 10, 2011, 4:43 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning appear to be in the driver’s seat in the Southeast Division, as they hold a four point lead and four more wins over the Washington Capitals. There are still plenty of games left, though, and things just got that much tougher for the Bolts.
It’s important to note that this is far from an official injury report, as Erlendsson writes that the team hasn’t determined the exact severity of the injury just yet. The Lightning are currently gathering medical opinions on the matter, so at the moment, Malone will be listed as day-to-day.
Still, that two month estimate came from Lightning head coach Guy Boucher, so it’s not like that window of time is totally out of order. Such a window would sideline the tough forward until the beginning of the playoffs.
Malone might not be a marquee talent along the lines of Steven Stamkos, but he is a player who regularly shows a willingness to go to the toughest areas in front of the net, not to mention the kind of skill it takes to finish such chances. The gritty forward is having a slightly slower goal-scoring season (11 in 2010-11 after scoring at least 21 goals the previous three campaigns), but he will absolutely be missed if this reading is correct.
We will keep you updated as the team gathers information about Malone’s injury.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)