Feb 10, 2011, 1:10 PM EDT
Yet beyond appeasing Carrie Underwood, there are actual hockey reasons that explain why the Predators traded their 2011 first round pick and a conditional 2012 pick to the Ottawa Senators for Fisher.
TSN explains that conditional pick this way: the Senators receive a third round pick if Nashville wins one round in the playoffs or a second rounder if they win two or more rounds. That’s pretty steep, but considering the fact that the Predators have never won a single playoff series in their franchise history, it might be worth it.
Actually, the trade makes plenty of sense for both sides.
Fisher provides the Predators with at least a piece of what they lost when should-be top (or second line) center Matthew Lombardi went down with concussion problems. Fisher seems like he should transition smoothly into the Predators fold as a strong defensive forward with some offensive ability. The only drawback is that he came at a price of top picks and a considerable “real” price tag: Fisher brings a $4.2 million annual cap hit through the 2012-13 season.
The Senators get to save some cash and kick-start their (obviously needed) rebuilding process. Getting a first round pick in 2011 and possibly a second or third rounder in 2012 is a heck of find for Fisher, a forward far more useful to a contender than a pretender.
The last time the Predators traded futures for a pivotal center, it was a failed experiment with Peter Forsberg. Yet Fisher is only 30-years-old and is a more seamless match for the team’s defense-first mentality.
If it’s possible for both teams to “win” a trade, this could very well be an example of such a scenario.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)