Feb 10, 2011, 1:48 PM EDT
On the same day (February 20, 2011) as Hockey Day in America, the NHL will also provide the world with the Canadian-tinged version of the Winter Classic. (Yes, I know that the Edmonton Oilers and Montreal Canadiens participated in the first Heritage Classic years before the first WC.)
That event is the 2011 Heritage Classic, an outdoor game in which the Canadiens will play against the Calgary Flames.
The league provided an artist’s rendering of what that outdoor game might look like, which you can see in this post’s main image. It’s obviously quite believable to imagine the snowy, idyllic atmosphere in that picture since it is taking place in Calgary in the middle of February.
The press release points out “Spectator Plaza” to the right, “the outdoor hockey and entertainment festival” that will take place from February 19 at noon to the afternoon of February 20th. Sounds like a great time for fans, which will be televised on the CBC in Canada and Versus in the U.S. at 6pm ET.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54