Feb 10, 2011, 1:48 PM EDT
On the same day (February 20, 2011) as Hockey Day in America, the NHL will also provide the world with the Canadian-tinged version of the Winter Classic. (Yes, I know that the Edmonton Oilers and Montreal Canadiens participated in the first Heritage Classic years before the first WC.)
That event is the 2011 Heritage Classic, an outdoor game in which the Canadiens will play against the Calgary Flames.
The league provided an artist’s rendering of what that outdoor game might look like, which you can see in this post’s main image. It’s obviously quite believable to imagine the snowy, idyllic atmosphere in that picture since it is taking place in Calgary in the middle of February.
The press release points out “Spectator Plaza” to the right, “the outdoor hockey and entertainment festival” that will take place from February 19 at noon to the afternoon of February 20th. Sounds like a great time for fans, which will be televised on the CBC in Canada and Versus in the U.S. at 6pm ET.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 20
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 19
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 46
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 123
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 36
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 80
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7