Feb 10, 2011, 1:48 PM EDT
On the same day (February 20, 2011) as Hockey Day in America, the NHL will also provide the world with the Canadian-tinged version of the Winter Classic. (Yes, I know that the Edmonton Oilers and Montreal Canadiens participated in the first Heritage Classic years before the first WC.)
That event is the 2011 Heritage Classic, an outdoor game in which the Canadiens will play against the Calgary Flames.
The league provided an artist’s rendering of what that outdoor game might look like, which you can see in this post’s main image. It’s obviously quite believable to imagine the snowy, idyllic atmosphere in that picture since it is taking place in Calgary in the middle of February.
The press release points out “Spectator Plaza” to the right, “the outdoor hockey and entertainment festival” that will take place from February 19 at noon to the afternoon of February 20th. Sounds like a great time for fans, which will be televised on the CBC in Canada and Versus in the U.S. at 6pm ET.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)