Feb 10, 2011, 1:48 PM EDT
On the same day (February 20, 2011) as Hockey Day in America, the NHL will also provide the world with the Canadian-tinged version of the Winter Classic. (Yes, I know that the Edmonton Oilers and Montreal Canadiens participated in the first Heritage Classic years before the first WC.)
That event is the 2011 Heritage Classic, an outdoor game in which the Canadiens will play against the Calgary Flames.
The league provided an artist’s rendering of what that outdoor game might look like, which you can see in this post’s main image. It’s obviously quite believable to imagine the snowy, idyllic atmosphere in that picture since it is taking place in Calgary in the middle of February.
The press release points out “Spectator Plaza” to the right, “the outdoor hockey and entertainment festival” that will take place from February 19 at noon to the afternoon of February 20th. Sounds like a great time for fans, which will be televised on the CBC in Canada and Versus in the U.S. at 6pm ET.
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 11
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 40
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 0
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 26
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control