Feb 9, 2011, 3:42 PM EDT
Today exploded with injury news to three notable NHL stars around the league. Here’s the skinny on what’s going on for Alex Tanguay, Chris Drury, Daniel Alfredsson, and Keith Ballard.
In New York, Rangers captain Chris Drury will be out the next six weeks after suffering an injury to his left knee that will require surgery. Drury has been playing on the fourth line and cycling in and out of the lineup recently as other Rangers players have returned to action.
With Erik Christensen and Vinny Prospal back in action, Drury’s role and need on the team has been reduced and minimal playing on the fourth line. It’s been a very disappointing year for Drury missing action other times this year breaking his finger on two separate occasions.
Ottawa captain Daniel Alfredsson will miss an indefinite amount of time as he deals with an ailing lower back problem. Alfredsson has been having a rough season for Ottawa scoring just 14 goals and 17 assists, numbers that still lead the team in scoring. For a Sens team that lacks a distinctive offensive touch, losing Alfredsson hurts not just from a captain’s standpoint but also from their production on the whole. Alfredsson tells the Ottawa Sun that he hopes it’ll just be a couple of weeks for him until he returns.
Calgary’s Alex Tanguay will be out indefinitely with a concussion. Tanguay was not on the ice this morning at Flames practice leading to questions about what was up with him but the answer isn’t one the Flames were hoping to get. Tanguay was injured Monday night against Chicago. Rene Bourque will take his place on a line with Jarome Iginla, a move that could spark the slumping Bourque.
Finally, Vancouver has updated the status of injured defenseman Keith Ballard. Ballard was injured in a collision with Ottawa’s Milan Michalek that led some in Vancouver to accuse Michalek of delivering a slew foot to Ballard. An MRI revealed a sprain in Ballard’s knee and he’ll be out for 3-4 weeks. Ballard is fortunate to have that be it for the injury as the way his leg folded up underneath him when he was brought down made the situation appear worse than it was.
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 0
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 3
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 34
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 23
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 66
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (66)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)