Feb 9, 2011, 9:50 PM EDT
All of a sudden, the San Jose Sharks might be the hottest team in the NHL. To underscore the up-and-down nature of the ultra-competitive Pacific Division, the Sharks opened up a slim lead over the Dallas Stars for the top spot thanks to a 3-2 win over the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Antti Niemi might be the No. 1 reason for the Sharks’ resurgence. You might be aware that the goalie who helped the Chicago Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup last season was struggling mightily to start the season, but he’s now 8-0-1 in his last nine stars. (The Sharks themselves are 9-0-1, with Alex Stalock earning one of those wins).
Niemi stopped 42 of the Blue Jackets’ 44 shots as the Sharks recovered from a 2-0 first period deficit to win this game. Columbus scored both of those goals on the power play, including a tally with nine seconds left in the first frame.
The best part for San Jose: they won the game with their 5-on-5 play, outscoring the Blue Jackets 3-0 in that category. With five wins in a row, the Sharks now lead the Stars by one point (66 to 65) although Dallas can re-establish that lead if they earn a point or more against Phoenix. (The Stars hold two games in hand over the Sharks at the moment.)
So the Sharks’ Pacific lead might not even last through tonight, but considering their struggles through the first half of this season, they’re probably glad to just be in the discussion.
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 13
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 3
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 96
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (96)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)