Feb 9, 2011, 9:50 PM EDT
All of a sudden, the San Jose Sharks might be the hottest team in the NHL. To underscore the up-and-down nature of the ultra-competitive Pacific Division, the Sharks opened up a slim lead over the Dallas Stars for the top spot thanks to a 3-2 win over the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Antti Niemi might be the No. 1 reason for the Sharks’ resurgence. You might be aware that the goalie who helped the Chicago Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup last season was struggling mightily to start the season, but he’s now 8-0-1 in his last nine stars. (The Sharks themselves are 9-0-1, with Alex Stalock earning one of those wins).
Niemi stopped 42 of the Blue Jackets’ 44 shots as the Sharks recovered from a 2-0 first period deficit to win this game. Columbus scored both of those goals on the power play, including a tally with nine seconds left in the first frame.
The best part for San Jose: they won the game with their 5-on-5 play, outscoring the Blue Jackets 3-0 in that category. With five wins in a row, the Sharks now lead the Stars by one point (66 to 65) although Dallas can re-establish that lead if they earn a point or more against Phoenix. (The Stars hold two games in hand over the Sharks at the moment.)
So the Sharks’ Pacific lead might not even last through tonight, but considering their struggles through the first half of this season, they’re probably glad to just be in the discussion.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)