Feb 9, 2011, 9:50 PM EDT
All of a sudden, the San Jose Sharks might be the hottest team in the NHL. To underscore the up-and-down nature of the ultra-competitive Pacific Division, the Sharks opened up a slim lead over the Dallas Stars for the top spot thanks to a 3-2 win over the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Antti Niemi might be the No. 1 reason for the Sharks’ resurgence. You might be aware that the goalie who helped the Chicago Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup last season was struggling mightily to start the season, but he’s now 8-0-1 in his last nine stars. (The Sharks themselves are 9-0-1, with Alex Stalock earning one of those wins).
Niemi stopped 42 of the Blue Jackets’ 44 shots as the Sharks recovered from a 2-0 first period deficit to win this game. Columbus scored both of those goals on the power play, including a tally with nine seconds left in the first frame.
The best part for San Jose: they won the game with their 5-on-5 play, outscoring the Blue Jackets 3-0 in that category. With five wins in a row, the Sharks now lead the Stars by one point (66 to 65) although Dallas can re-establish that lead if they earn a point or more against Phoenix. (The Stars hold two games in hand over the Sharks at the moment.)
So the Sharks’ Pacific lead might not even last through tonight, but considering their struggles through the first half of this season, they’re probably glad to just be in the discussion.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 7
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 44
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 17
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 94
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat, Pacers go to overtime in Game 1
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games