Feb 9, 2011, 12:06 AM EDT
After we saw the Caps win a great game on Sunday afternoon on NBC’s Game of the Week against the Penguins, they had to deal with the red hot San Jose Sharks in D.C. The difference between how the Sharks have been streaking and how the Penguins were on a roll heading into a game against the Caps were noticeable as the Sharks took out Washington 2-0. Antti Niemi earned his fourth shutout of the season, and second in a row, stopping 25 shots in the win.
Logan Couture and Dan Boyle had the third period markers for the Sharks to break a listless, scoreless tie midway through the third period. For the Capitals, after winning two in a row losing in such a dry and dull way for them is a tremendous let down for them.
Making the lack of offense even tougher to handle is the fact that Alex Semin made his return to the Caps lineup tonight. Semin is the team leader in power play goals and second on the team in goals scored as well. Instead of helping a team that appeared ready to break out explode offensively, it turned into the eighth time this season they were shutout.
The Sharks are now 8-0-1 in their last nine games and have vaulted into fourth place in the Western Conference. The Capitals failed to gain more ground on Tampa Bay as the Lightning got knocked around by Buffalo 7-4 in Tampa.
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 48
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 28
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 3
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25