Feb 9, 2011, 12:06 AM EDT
After we saw the Caps win a great game on Sunday afternoon on NBC’s Game of the Week against the Penguins, they had to deal with the red hot San Jose Sharks in D.C. The difference between how the Sharks have been streaking and how the Penguins were on a roll heading into a game against the Caps were noticeable as the Sharks took out Washington 2-0. Antti Niemi earned his fourth shutout of the season, and second in a row, stopping 25 shots in the win.
Logan Couture and Dan Boyle had the third period markers for the Sharks to break a listless, scoreless tie midway through the third period. For the Capitals, after winning two in a row losing in such a dry and dull way for them is a tremendous let down for them.
Making the lack of offense even tougher to handle is the fact that Alex Semin made his return to the Caps lineup tonight. Semin is the team leader in power play goals and second on the team in goals scored as well. Instead of helping a team that appeared ready to break out explode offensively, it turned into the eighth time this season they were shutout.
The Sharks are now 8-0-1 in their last nine games and have vaulted into fourth place in the Western Conference. The Capitals failed to gain more ground on Tampa Bay as the Lightning got knocked around by Buffalo 7-4 in Tampa.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 6
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 28
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)