Feb 9, 2011, 12:06 AM EDT
After we saw the Caps win a great game on Sunday afternoon on NBC’s Game of the Week against the Penguins, they had to deal with the red hot San Jose Sharks in D.C. The difference between how the Sharks have been streaking and how the Penguins were on a roll heading into a game against the Caps were noticeable as the Sharks took out Washington 2-0. Antti Niemi earned his fourth shutout of the season, and second in a row, stopping 25 shots in the win.
Logan Couture and Dan Boyle had the third period markers for the Sharks to break a listless, scoreless tie midway through the third period. For the Capitals, after winning two in a row losing in such a dry and dull way for them is a tremendous let down for them.
Making the lack of offense even tougher to handle is the fact that Alex Semin made his return to the Caps lineup tonight. Semin is the team leader in power play goals and second on the team in goals scored as well. Instead of helping a team that appeared ready to break out explode offensively, it turned into the eighth time this season they were shutout.
The Sharks are now 8-0-1 in their last nine games and have vaulted into fourth place in the Western Conference. The Capitals failed to gain more ground on Tampa Bay as the Lightning got knocked around by Buffalo 7-4 in Tampa.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 10
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 53
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54