Feb 9, 2011, 12:06 AM EDT
After we saw the Caps win a great game on Sunday afternoon on NBC’s Game of the Week against the Penguins, they had to deal with the red hot San Jose Sharks in D.C. The difference between how the Sharks have been streaking and how the Penguins were on a roll heading into a game against the Caps were noticeable as the Sharks took out Washington 2-0. Antti Niemi earned his fourth shutout of the season, and second in a row, stopping 25 shots in the win.
Logan Couture and Dan Boyle had the third period markers for the Sharks to break a listless, scoreless tie midway through the third period. For the Capitals, after winning two in a row losing in such a dry and dull way for them is a tremendous let down for them.
Making the lack of offense even tougher to handle is the fact that Alex Semin made his return to the Caps lineup tonight. Semin is the team leader in power play goals and second on the team in goals scored as well. Instead of helping a team that appeared ready to break out explode offensively, it turned into the eighth time this season they were shutout.
The Sharks are now 8-0-1 in their last nine games and have vaulted into fourth place in the Western Conference. The Capitals failed to gain more ground on Tampa Bay as the Lightning got knocked around by Buffalo 7-4 in Tampa.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 7
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 27
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 16
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)