Feb 9, 2011, 12:06 AM EDT
After we saw the Caps win a great game on Sunday afternoon on NBC’s Game of the Week against the Penguins, they had to deal with the red hot San Jose Sharks in D.C. The difference between how the Sharks have been streaking and how the Penguins were on a roll heading into a game against the Caps were noticeable as the Sharks took out Washington 2-0. Antti Niemi earned his fourth shutout of the season, and second in a row, stopping 25 shots in the win.
Logan Couture and Dan Boyle had the third period markers for the Sharks to break a listless, scoreless tie midway through the third period. For the Capitals, after winning two in a row losing in such a dry and dull way for them is a tremendous let down for them.
Making the lack of offense even tougher to handle is the fact that Alex Semin made his return to the Caps lineup tonight. Semin is the team leader in power play goals and second on the team in goals scored as well. Instead of helping a team that appeared ready to break out explode offensively, it turned into the eighth time this season they were shutout.
The Sharks are now 8-0-1 in their last nine games and have vaulted into fourth place in the Western Conference. The Capitals failed to gain more ground on Tampa Bay as the Lightning got knocked around by Buffalo 7-4 in Tampa.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 0
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)