Feb 9, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
If you’ve not heard of James Reimer yet, that just means you’re not living in Toronto. There, Reimer is quickly becoming a cult hero with Leafs faithful for his big saves and his ability to actually win games for the Leafs. The Leafs moved to within eight points of the eighth spot in the Eastern Conference after a 5-2 win over the Islanders last night and he managed to impress Leafs fans everywhere with his abilities in goal again.
In the third period with the Leafs leading 4-2, the Islanders were working the puck around the Leafs zone when it ended up on the stick of Frans Nielsen who unleashed a big slap shot through traffic. Somehow, Reimer was able to track it at the last second and make a huge glove save to keep the Isles at bay. Reimer’s popularity is big enough to warrant a nickname that would make Michael Bay’s eyebrows perk up: Optimus Reim. If he keeps up his play while making more saves like this, Leafs fans will be hoping he transforms into a playoff starting goalie this season.
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 0
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 20
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 11
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)