Feb 9, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
While a lot of folks are going to be busy talking about Matt Cooke‘s awful hit on Fedor Tyutin in last night’s Blue Jackets-Penguins tilt, one part of the game that’s flying under the radar is Rick Nash‘s ability to score ridiculous goals.
Early on in the first period against the Penguins, Derick Brassard circled back around in the Penguins zone and he found Nash across the ice. Nash wheeled around and let a shot fly that came so suddenly upon Marc-Andre Fleury that Fleury only had about 95% of the net covered. Unfortunately for him, Nash found the other five percent of open net to put a whistling laser beam of a shot past him to give Columbus a 1-0 lead. The Jackets went on to win 4-1 in Pittsburgh.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 51
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 40
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)