Feb 9, 2011, 3:09 PM EDT
It was expected news to come out of Pittsburgh, but sad news nonetheless for the team as GM Ray Shero announced that Evgeni Malkin will have surgery to repair the torn ACL and MCL in his right knee and will be out for six months. That means Malkin is out for the rest of the season and playoffs but should put him on schedule to be back in time for training camp next season.
Malkin was injured last week against the Sabres when he collided awkwardly with Tyler Myers on a play and went down. Without Malkin, the Penguins are without one of their most dynamic offensive players for the remainder of the season. While the team awaits Sidney Crosby‘s eventual return from a concussion, Malkin was to be the focus of the offense when he returned from a sinus infection. Instead, he gets hurt in his first game back from that and is done for the year.
Malkin did have 15 goals and 22 assists this year for the Pens in 43 games this year. It was a down offensive year for him to that point but after dealing with an achy knee for part of the year and then the sinus infection, it seems this knee injury is just the icing on the cake for what was the Russian superstar’s most frustrating season to date. With the amount of rehab Malkin will need to do on his knee before next season, Malkin could be poised to be a physical wrecking ball for the Penguins when the puck drops on the 2011-2012 season.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)