Feb 9, 2011, 3:09 PM EST
It was expected news to come out of Pittsburgh, but sad news nonetheless for the team as GM Ray Shero announced that Evgeni Malkin will have surgery to repair the torn ACL and MCL in his right knee and will be out for six months. That means Malkin is out for the rest of the season and playoffs but should put him on schedule to be back in time for training camp next season.
Malkin was injured last week against the Sabres when he collided awkwardly with Tyler Myers on a play and went down. Without Malkin, the Penguins are without one of their most dynamic offensive players for the remainder of the season. While the team awaits Sidney Crosby‘s eventual return from a concussion, Malkin was to be the focus of the offense when he returned from a sinus infection. Instead, he gets hurt in his first game back from that and is done for the year.
Malkin did have 15 goals and 22 assists this year for the Pens in 43 games this year. It was a down offensive year for him to that point but after dealing with an achy knee for part of the year and then the sinus infection, it seems this knee injury is just the icing on the cake for what was the Russian superstar’s most frustrating season to date. With the amount of rehab Malkin will need to do on his knee before next season, Malkin could be poised to be a physical wrecking ball for the Penguins when the puck drops on the 2011-2012 season.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (117)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)