Feb 9, 2011, 3:09 PM EDT
It was expected news to come out of Pittsburgh, but sad news nonetheless for the team as GM Ray Shero announced that Evgeni Malkin will have surgery to repair the torn ACL and MCL in his right knee and will be out for six months. That means Malkin is out for the rest of the season and playoffs but should put him on schedule to be back in time for training camp next season.
Malkin was injured last week against the Sabres when he collided awkwardly with Tyler Myers on a play and went down. Without Malkin, the Penguins are without one of their most dynamic offensive players for the remainder of the season. While the team awaits Sidney Crosby‘s eventual return from a concussion, Malkin was to be the focus of the offense when he returned from a sinus infection. Instead, he gets hurt in his first game back from that and is done for the year.
Malkin did have 15 goals and 22 assists this year for the Pens in 43 games this year. It was a down offensive year for him to that point but after dealing with an achy knee for part of the year and then the sinus infection, it seems this knee injury is just the icing on the cake for what was the Russian superstar’s most frustrating season to date. With the amount of rehab Malkin will need to do on his knee before next season, Malkin could be poised to be a physical wrecking ball for the Penguins when the puck drops on the 2011-2012 season.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)