Feb 9, 2011, 9:00 PM EDT
With the All-Star break over, it’s time for the NHL playoff races to intensify. Every week, we’ll provide updates for each division’s outlook. The biggest contenders and/or closest races will receive the greatest amount of attention.
Bold = playoff contender; Italics = likely lottery fodder.
Atlantic Division outlook (February 9-15)
1. Philadelphia Flyers (35-13-5 for 75 pts; 53 Games Played)
Current streak: Two wins in a row.
Week ahead: Home vs. Carolina (Thursday), home vs. Los Angeles (Saturday), @ Tampa Bay (Tuesday).
Thoughts: The Flyers have a three point lead on the Penguins and two games in hand. Is it too early to wonder if they have the Atlantic in the bag already?
2. Pittsburgh Penguins (34-17-4 for 72 pts; 55 GP)
Current streak: Two straight losses.
Week ahead: Home vs. Los Angeles (Thurs), @ Islanders (Fri), @ Rangers (Sun).
Thoughts: Sure, it’s only two losses, but the Penguins looked pretty punch-less in their defeats to the Washington Capitals and Columbus Blue Jackets. This week might determine when/if Ray Shero needs to make a move.
3. New York Rangers (29-23-4 for 62 pts; 56 GP)
Current streak: Five losses in a row.
Week ahead: @ Atlanta (Fri), home vs. Pittsburgh (Sun)
Thoughts: For a while it seemed like the Rangers were in a comfortable middle-of-the-playoff-pack position, but now they’re all the way down to seventh place. They need to get their acts together to avoid falling into a race for the last two playoff spots with the Thrashers and Hurricanes.
4. New Jersey Devils (20-30-4 for 44 pts; 54 GP)
Current streak: Two wins.
Week ahead: @ Toronto (Thurs), home vs. San Jose (Fri)
Thoughts: Could the Devils actually fight for a playoff spot? They’ll need to maintain their 2011 pace for the rest of the season to even have a prayer of doing so.
5. New York Islanders (17-29-7 for 41 pts; 53 GP)
Current streak: One loss.
Week ahead: @ Montreal (Thurs), home vs. Pittsburgh (Fri), @ Buffalo (Sun), @ Ottawa (Tues).
Thoughts: Well, at least they should be able to get a lottery pick.
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 1
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 3
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 9
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 72
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 63
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 165
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (165)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)