Feb 9, 2011, 12:57 PM EDT
The other dirty hit from last night’s NHL action came out of New Jersey’s 3-2 overtime win against Carolina when Anton Volchenkov caught Hurricanes forward Zach Boychuk with an elbow to the head while Boychuk had his head down. Boychuk was trying to play the puck near the blue line when Volchenkov skated through sticking his elbow out to hit him in the head to take him out of the play. (YouTube video)
With that play being such an obvious violation of Rule 48, the league acted swiftly in suspending Volchenkov for three games according to Volchenkov’s agent Jay Grossman. Boychuk was shaken up by the elbow but was able to tweet after the game that he passed his concussion tests afterwards and should be ready to play barring any unforeseen setbacks.
Volchenkov drew the ire of coach Jacques Lemaire after the game for taking three different minor penalties and considering Jeff Skinner had two power play goals for the Hurricanes last night providing them with their only offense, we can understand why Lemaire would be upset. Now he’ll have to replace him in the lineup for the next three games. Be careful what you wish for I suppose.
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 1
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 3
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 27
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 27
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12