Feb 9, 2011, 12:57 PM EDT
The other dirty hit from last night’s NHL action came out of New Jersey’s 3-2 overtime win against Carolina when Anton Volchenkov caught Hurricanes forward Zach Boychuk with an elbow to the head while Boychuk had his head down. Boychuk was trying to play the puck near the blue line when Volchenkov skated through sticking his elbow out to hit him in the head to take him out of the play. (YouTube video)
With that play being such an obvious violation of Rule 48, the league acted swiftly in suspending Volchenkov for three games according to Volchenkov’s agent Jay Grossman. Boychuk was shaken up by the elbow but was able to tweet after the game that he passed his concussion tests afterwards and should be ready to play barring any unforeseen setbacks.
Volchenkov drew the ire of coach Jacques Lemaire after the game for taking three different minor penalties and considering Jeff Skinner had two power play goals for the Hurricanes last night providing them with their only offense, we can understand why Lemaire would be upset. Now he’ll have to replace him in the lineup for the next three games. Be careful what you wish for I suppose.
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 8
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6