Feb 9, 2011, 12:57 PM EDT
The other dirty hit from last night’s NHL action came out of New Jersey’s 3-2 overtime win against Carolina when Anton Volchenkov caught Hurricanes forward Zach Boychuk with an elbow to the head while Boychuk had his head down. Boychuk was trying to play the puck near the blue line when Volchenkov skated through sticking his elbow out to hit him in the head to take him out of the play. (YouTube video)
With that play being such an obvious violation of Rule 48, the league acted swiftly in suspending Volchenkov for three games according to Volchenkov’s agent Jay Grossman. Boychuk was shaken up by the elbow but was able to tweet after the game that he passed his concussion tests afterwards and should be ready to play barring any unforeseen setbacks.
Volchenkov drew the ire of coach Jacques Lemaire after the game for taking three different minor penalties and considering Jeff Skinner had two power play goals for the Hurricanes last night providing them with their only offense, we can understand why Lemaire would be upset. Now he’ll have to replace him in the lineup for the next three games. Be careful what you wish for I suppose.
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 3
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 5
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 3
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 16
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9