Feb 9, 2011, 12:57 PM EDT
The other dirty hit from last night’s NHL action came out of New Jersey’s 3-2 overtime win against Carolina when Anton Volchenkov caught Hurricanes forward Zach Boychuk with an elbow to the head while Boychuk had his head down. Boychuk was trying to play the puck near the blue line when Volchenkov skated through sticking his elbow out to hit him in the head to take him out of the play. (YouTube video)
With that play being such an obvious violation of Rule 48, the league acted swiftly in suspending Volchenkov for three games according to Volchenkov’s agent Jay Grossman. Boychuk was shaken up by the elbow but was able to tweet after the game that he passed his concussion tests afterwards and should be ready to play barring any unforeseen setbacks.
Volchenkov drew the ire of coach Jacques Lemaire after the game for taking three different minor penalties and considering Jeff Skinner had two power play goals for the Hurricanes last night providing them with their only offense, we can understand why Lemaire would be upset. Now he’ll have to replace him in the lineup for the next three games. Be careful what you wish for I suppose.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39