Feb 9, 2011, 6:26 PM EDT
It’s always a good time when the initial diagnosis of an injury turns out to be totally wrong and the real affliction is seemingly harmless in the end. Such is the case for Flames forward Alex Tanguay as he was originally diagnosed with a concussion and listed as being out of action indefinitely. As we’ve seen with other concussions around the league that could’ve meant an extended stay on injured reserve for Tanguay.
As it turns out, Tanguay is just ailing from a neck strain and his condition was improved from being out indefinitely to being out day-to-day. The Flames sent out a press release correcting the initial report and they couldn’t be happier to do that. It’s a huge break for the Flames as they’ve been playing solid hockey of late and Tanguay has been a big part of that playing on the same line with Jarome Iginla.
For now, while Tanguay recovers in the short term, Rene Bourque will still get a shot to get his game restarted playing with Iginla’s line tonight against Ottawa. Tanguay has 14 goals and 28 assists this season for the Flames and is their second leading scorer behind Iginla. After such a disappointing season in Tampa Bay last year he’s rebounded nicely in his return to Calgary.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)