Feb 9, 2011, 6:26 PM EDT
It’s always a good time when the initial diagnosis of an injury turns out to be totally wrong and the real affliction is seemingly harmless in the end. Such is the case for Flames forward Alex Tanguay as he was originally diagnosed with a concussion and listed as being out of action indefinitely. As we’ve seen with other concussions around the league that could’ve meant an extended stay on injured reserve for Tanguay.
As it turns out, Tanguay is just ailing from a neck strain and his condition was improved from being out indefinitely to being out day-to-day. The Flames sent out a press release correcting the initial report and they couldn’t be happier to do that. It’s a huge break for the Flames as they’ve been playing solid hockey of late and Tanguay has been a big part of that playing on the same line with Jarome Iginla.
For now, while Tanguay recovers in the short term, Rene Bourque will still get a shot to get his game restarted playing with Iginla’s line tonight against Ottawa. Tanguay has 14 goals and 28 assists this season for the Flames and is their second leading scorer behind Iginla. After such a disappointing season in Tampa Bay last year he’s rebounded nicely in his return to Calgary.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)