Feb 9, 2011, 6:26 PM EDT
It’s always a good time when the initial diagnosis of an injury turns out to be totally wrong and the real affliction is seemingly harmless in the end. Such is the case for Flames forward Alex Tanguay as he was originally diagnosed with a concussion and listed as being out of action indefinitely. As we’ve seen with other concussions around the league that could’ve meant an extended stay on injured reserve for Tanguay.
As it turns out, Tanguay is just ailing from a neck strain and his condition was improved from being out indefinitely to being out day-to-day. The Flames sent out a press release correcting the initial report and they couldn’t be happier to do that. It’s a huge break for the Flames as they’ve been playing solid hockey of late and Tanguay has been a big part of that playing on the same line with Jarome Iginla.
For now, while Tanguay recovers in the short term, Rene Bourque will still get a shot to get his game restarted playing with Iginla’s line tonight against Ottawa. Tanguay has 14 goals and 28 assists this season for the Flames and is their second leading scorer behind Iginla. After such a disappointing season in Tampa Bay last year he’s rebounded nicely in his return to Calgary.
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 13
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 35
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 6
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 42
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 89
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)