Feb 9, 2011, 6:26 PM EDT
It’s always a good time when the initial diagnosis of an injury turns out to be totally wrong and the real affliction is seemingly harmless in the end. Such is the case for Flames forward Alex Tanguay as he was originally diagnosed with a concussion and listed as being out of action indefinitely. As we’ve seen with other concussions around the league that could’ve meant an extended stay on injured reserve for Tanguay.
As it turns out, Tanguay is just ailing from a neck strain and his condition was improved from being out indefinitely to being out day-to-day. The Flames sent out a press release correcting the initial report and they couldn’t be happier to do that. It’s a huge break for the Flames as they’ve been playing solid hockey of late and Tanguay has been a big part of that playing on the same line with Jarome Iginla.
For now, while Tanguay recovers in the short term, Rene Bourque will still get a shot to get his game restarted playing with Iginla’s line tonight against Ottawa. Tanguay has 14 goals and 28 assists this season for the Flames and is their second leading scorer behind Iginla. After such a disappointing season in Tampa Bay last year he’s rebounded nicely in his return to Calgary.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 24
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)