Feb 9, 2011, 6:26 PM EST
It’s always a good time when the initial diagnosis of an injury turns out to be totally wrong and the real affliction is seemingly harmless in the end. Such is the case for Flames forward Alex Tanguay as he was originally diagnosed with a concussion and listed as being out of action indefinitely. As we’ve seen with other concussions around the league that could’ve meant an extended stay on injured reserve for Tanguay.
As it turns out, Tanguay is just ailing from a neck strain and his condition was improved from being out indefinitely to being out day-to-day. The Flames sent out a press release correcting the initial report and they couldn’t be happier to do that. It’s a huge break for the Flames as they’ve been playing solid hockey of late and Tanguay has been a big part of that playing on the same line with Jarome Iginla.
For now, while Tanguay recovers in the short term, Rene Bourque will still get a shot to get his game restarted playing with Iginla’s line tonight against Ottawa. Tanguay has 14 goals and 28 assists this season for the Flames and is their second leading scorer behind Iginla. After such a disappointing season in Tampa Bay last year he’s rebounded nicely in his return to Calgary.
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)