Feb 8, 2011, 6:30 PM EDT
Every week, Pro Hockey Talk will ask our readers to choose the best goal and save of that seven-day period. Sometimes there might not be seven nominees, whether that be because there weren’t enough great clips or one person received multiple awards. Either way, readers ultimately get to choose each week’s lucky winners.
We’re not going to lie, the poll results for the January 31-February 6th Goal of the Week ended up a little surprising.
It’s not meant to take anything away from the clip Philadelphia Flyers winger Ville Leino produced. His turn-around goal was a great example of why he’s the kind of player who makes the team’s depth so intimidating.
No, it’s surprising because of the brilliance of Nashville Predators’ forward Sergei Kostitsyn’s work.
That being said, we’ll admit this much: Leino’s goal was more important in its context than Kostitsyn’s tally. Check out the poll results.
As you can see, it was a close call between Leino and Kostitsyn. Internet darling Kyle Wellwood also received a nice amount of votes, but not enough to beat Leino.
Here’s the clip of Leino’s goal.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 2
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)