Feb 8, 2011, 6:30 PM EST
Every week, Pro Hockey Talk will ask our readers to choose the best goal and save of that seven-day period. Sometimes there might not be seven nominees, whether that be because there weren’t enough great clips or one person received multiple awards. Either way, readers ultimately get to choose each week’s lucky winners.
We’re not going to lie, the poll results for the January 31-February 6th Goal of the Week ended up a little surprising.
It’s not meant to take anything away from the clip Philadelphia Flyers winger Ville Leino produced. His turn-around goal was a great example of why he’s the kind of player who makes the team’s depth so intimidating.
No, it’s surprising because of the brilliance of Nashville Predators’ forward Sergei Kostitsyn’s work.
That being said, we’ll admit this much: Leino’s goal was more important in its context than Kostitsyn’s tally. Check out the poll results.
As you can see, it was a close call between Leino and Kostitsyn. Internet darling Kyle Wellwood also received a nice amount of votes, but not enough to beat Leino.
Here’s the clip of Leino’s goal.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 56
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 19
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)