Sharks-Capitals injury updates: Alex Semin, Antero Niittymaki to dress tonight; Mike Green’s status is unclear
Feb 8, 2011, 4:42 PM EDT
Tonight’s San Jose Sharks-Washington Capitals game features two teams who seem like they have put some worrisome struggles behind them. (A six-game losing streak for the Caps and basically the first half of the season for the Sharks.)
It’s possible each team will get stronger, too, as important players are primed to return for both sides. Katie Carrera reports that Alexander Semin is expected to play after missing 12 games with a groin injury while the Sharks announced that Antero Niittymaki will dress tonight.
Niittymaki isn’t guaranteed to start, but if nothing else, the move gives the Sharks some piece of mind behind Antti Niemi. The team used four different backups for Niemi in Niittymaki’s absence.
Carrera reports that Mike Green’s status for Tuesday’s game is unclear, although he said he felt good after participating in the team’s morning skate. It would be surprising if he played tonight, it doesn’t seem like Washington is ruling out the possibility.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 18
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 16
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)