Sharks-Capitals injury updates: Alex Semin, Antero Niittymaki to dress tonight; Mike Green’s status is unclear
Feb 8, 2011, 4:42 PM EDT
Tonight’s San Jose Sharks-Washington Capitals game features two teams who seem like they have put some worrisome struggles behind them. (A six-game losing streak for the Caps and basically the first half of the season for the Sharks.)
It’s possible each team will get stronger, too, as important players are primed to return for both sides. Katie Carrera reports that Alexander Semin is expected to play after missing 12 games with a groin injury while the Sharks announced that Antero Niittymaki will dress tonight.
Niittymaki isn’t guaranteed to start, but if nothing else, the move gives the Sharks some piece of mind behind Antti Niemi. The team used four different backups for Niemi in Niittymaki’s absence.
Carrera reports that Mike Green’s status for Tuesday’s game is unclear, although he said he felt good after participating in the team’s morning skate. It would be surprising if he played tonight, it doesn’t seem like Washington is ruling out the possibility.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 9
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 14
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 30
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 42
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 45
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)