Sharks-Capitals injury updates: Alex Semin, Antero Niittymaki to dress tonight; Mike Green’s status is unclear
Feb 8, 2011, 4:42 PM EDT
Tonight’s San Jose Sharks-Washington Capitals game features two teams who seem like they have put some worrisome struggles behind them. (A six-game losing streak for the Caps and basically the first half of the season for the Sharks.)
It’s possible each team will get stronger, too, as important players are primed to return for both sides. Katie Carrera reports that Alexander Semin is expected to play after missing 12 games with a groin injury while the Sharks announced that Antero Niittymaki will dress tonight.
Niittymaki isn’t guaranteed to start, but if nothing else, the move gives the Sharks some piece of mind behind Antti Niemi. The team used four different backups for Niemi in Niittymaki’s absence.
Carrera reports that Mike Green’s status for Tuesday’s game is unclear, although he said he felt good after participating in the team’s morning skate. It would be surprising if he played tonight, it doesn’t seem like Washington is ruling out the possibility.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 28
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 24
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 22
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 58
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22