Sharks-Capitals injury updates: Alex Semin, Antero Niittymaki to dress tonight; Mike Green’s status is unclear
Feb 8, 2011, 4:42 PM EDT
Tonight’s San Jose Sharks-Washington Capitals game features two teams who seem like they have put some worrisome struggles behind them. (A six-game losing streak for the Caps and basically the first half of the season for the Sharks.)
It’s possible each team will get stronger, too, as important players are primed to return for both sides. Katie Carrera reports that Alexander Semin is expected to play after missing 12 games with a groin injury while the Sharks announced that Antero Niittymaki will dress tonight.
Niittymaki isn’t guaranteed to start, but if nothing else, the move gives the Sharks some piece of mind behind Antti Niemi. The team used four different backups for Niemi in Niittymaki’s absence.
Carrera reports that Mike Green’s status for Tuesday’s game is unclear, although he said he felt good after participating in the team’s morning skate. It would be surprising if he played tonight, it doesn’t seem like Washington is ruling out the possibility.
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 2
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13