Sharks-Capitals injury updates: Alex Semin, Antero Niittymaki to dress tonight; Mike Green’s status is unclear
Feb 8, 2011, 4:42 PM EST
Tonight’s San Jose Sharks-Washington Capitals game features two teams who seem like they have put some worrisome struggles behind them. (A six-game losing streak for the Caps and basically the first half of the season for the Sharks.)
It’s possible each team will get stronger, too, as important players are primed to return for both sides. Katie Carrera reports that Alexander Semin is expected to play after missing 12 games with a groin injury while the Sharks announced that Antero Niittymaki will dress tonight.
Niittymaki isn’t guaranteed to start, but if nothing else, the move gives the Sharks some piece of mind behind Antti Niemi. The team used four different backups for Niemi in Niittymaki’s absence.
Carrera reports that Mike Green’s status for Tuesday’s game is unclear, although he said he felt good after participating in the team’s morning skate. It would be surprising if he played tonight, it doesn’t seem like Washington is ruling out the possibility.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 67
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (67)