Feb 8, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
By just about any measure, Monday was a bad night for the Atlanta Thrashers.
The floundering group dropped their fourth consecutive team to the mediocre Toronto Maple Leafs, the cherry on top of a two-win month. Obviously Atlanta isn’t that far behind eighth place Carolina (the Hurricanes only own games in hand over the Thrashers, not even points), but that shouldn’t dull the tension.
Perhaps the only comforting moments came when Dustin Byfuglien finally broke his 13-game goal scoring drought and when Ondrej Pavelec made an absolutely brilliant stop on Tyler Bozak. Both important Thrashers combined for a stomach-turning clip as Byfuglien coughed up an awful turnover to set the table for a Nikolai Kulemin goal, but at least they can watch this Save of the Night winner for some comfort.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 0
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)