Feb 8, 2011, 1:20 AM EDT
For recaps of the first half of Monday’s games, click here. Now let’s take a look at the three latest games.
Ilya Bryzgalov now has a two-game shutout streak going after stuffing all 26 of the struggling Avs’ shots. It also marked the second straight game in which Colorado went without scoring a goal, as the young bunch have lost four games in a row. (Maybe they need Peter Forsberg more than anyone realized?)
Radim Vrbata scored two goals including the game-winner while Scottie Upshall also found the back of the net. Ray Whitney assisted on both of Vrbata’s goals. The Coyotes are in fifth place for now with 63 points while the Avalanche lag behind the pack, stuck at 56.
The red-hot Flames are 7-0-1 in their last eight games, a streak that seats them in the West’s top eight for the first time since October 29th.
Curtis Glencross provided the game-winner while Mikael Backlund scored the game’s opening tally and Rene Bourque iced the game with an empty-netter. Patrick Kane scored the only goal for what must be an increasingly worried Blackhawks team.
Miikka Kiprusoff stopped all but one of the 23 shots he faced, beating out Corey Crawford (25 out of 27). Calgary is now in eighth place while Chicago is in 11th.
On a Monday night with some mild upsets (Edmonton shutting out Nashville, Toronto continuing Atlanta’s frustrations), it’s good to see that there’s at least some order remaining. The Canucks won their sixth win in a row as Mikael Samuelsson scored two goals and provided an assist to help Vancouver hold off the desperate Senators.
Ottawa’s losing streak now eclipsed the double-digit mark, as they dropped their 10th game in a row. There isn’t much of a bright side to look on for the Sens, but at least recently healthy center Jason Spezza was productive, scoring a goal and assisting on Nick Foligno‘s tally.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)