Feb 8, 2011, 1:20 AM EST
For recaps of the first half of Monday’s games, click here. Now let’s take a look at the three latest games.
Ilya Bryzgalov now has a two-game shutout streak going after stuffing all 26 of the struggling Avs’ shots. It also marked the second straight game in which Colorado went without scoring a goal, as the young bunch have lost four games in a row. (Maybe they need Peter Forsberg more than anyone realized?)
Radim Vrbata scored two goals including the game-winner while Scottie Upshall also found the back of the net. Ray Whitney assisted on both of Vrbata’s goals. The Coyotes are in fifth place for now with 63 points while the Avalanche lag behind the pack, stuck at 56.
The red-hot Flames are 7-0-1 in their last eight games, a streak that seats them in the West’s top eight for the first time since October 29th.
Curtis Glencross provided the game-winner while Mikael Backlund scored the game’s opening tally and Rene Bourque iced the game with an empty-netter. Patrick Kane scored the only goal for what must be an increasingly worried Blackhawks team.
Miikka Kiprusoff stopped all but one of the 23 shots he faced, beating out Corey Crawford (25 out of 27). Calgary is now in eighth place while Chicago is in 11th.
On a Monday night with some mild upsets (Edmonton shutting out Nashville, Toronto continuing Atlanta’s frustrations), it’s good to see that there’s at least some order remaining. The Canucks won their sixth win in a row as Mikael Samuelsson scored two goals and provided an assist to help Vancouver hold off the desperate Senators.
Ottawa’s losing streak now eclipsed the double-digit mark, as they dropped their 10th game in a row. There isn’t much of a bright side to look on for the Sens, but at least recently healthy center Jason Spezza was productive, scoring a goal and assisting on Nick Foligno‘s tally.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 18
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)