Feb 8, 2011, 1:07 PM EDT
Considering how many players have been snatched off of waivers this season, the Anaheim Ducks must be relieved that Ray Emery cleared waivers so he could begin his conditioning stint with the AHL’s Syracuse Crunch today.
Emery is currently attempting an impressive recovery after dealing with a hip injury that ended the athletic career of two-sport star Bo Jackson in the ’90s. He last played for the Philadelphia Flyers during the 2009-10 season before he needed surgery on that hip.
Adding Emery with a low-risk contract makes a lot of sense for the Ducks, as Jonas Hiller has been having some health problems and the team rarely turns to backup Curtis McElhinney. Emery could be a valuable insurance policy for Anaheim or he could be little more than an inspiring story. Either way, he’s worth a shot.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 18
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 35
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)