Feb 8, 2011, 1:07 PM EDT
Considering how many players have been snatched off of waivers this season, the Anaheim Ducks must be relieved that Ray Emery cleared waivers so he could begin his conditioning stint with the AHL’s Syracuse Crunch today.
Emery is currently attempting an impressive recovery after dealing with a hip injury that ended the athletic career of two-sport star Bo Jackson in the ’90s. He last played for the Philadelphia Flyers during the 2009-10 season before he needed surgery on that hip.
Adding Emery with a low-risk contract makes a lot of sense for the Ducks, as Jonas Hiller has been having some health problems and the team rarely turns to backup Curtis McElhinney. Emery could be a valuable insurance policy for Anaheim or he could be little more than an inspiring story. Either way, he’s worth a shot.
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 10
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 18
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 98
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 29
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)