Feb 8, 2011, 1:07 PM EDT
Considering how many players have been snatched off of waivers this season, the Anaheim Ducks must be relieved that Ray Emery cleared waivers so he could begin his conditioning stint with the AHL’s Syracuse Crunch today.
Emery is currently attempting an impressive recovery after dealing with a hip injury that ended the athletic career of two-sport star Bo Jackson in the ’90s. He last played for the Philadelphia Flyers during the 2009-10 season before he needed surgery on that hip.
Adding Emery with a low-risk contract makes a lot of sense for the Ducks, as Jonas Hiller has been having some health problems and the team rarely turns to backup Curtis McElhinney. Emery could be a valuable insurance policy for Anaheim or he could be little more than an inspiring story. Either way, he’s worth a shot.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 16
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 54
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)