Feb 8, 2011, 1:07 PM EST
Considering how many players have been snatched off of waivers this season, the Anaheim Ducks must be relieved that Ray Emery cleared waivers so he could begin his conditioning stint with the AHL’s Syracuse Crunch today.
Emery is currently attempting an impressive recovery after dealing with a hip injury that ended the athletic career of two-sport star Bo Jackson in the ’90s. He last played for the Philadelphia Flyers during the 2009-10 season before he needed surgery on that hip.
Adding Emery with a low-risk contract makes a lot of sense for the Ducks, as Jonas Hiller has been having some health problems and the team rarely turns to backup Curtis McElhinney. Emery could be a valuable insurance policy for Anaheim or he could be little more than an inspiring story. Either way, he’s worth a shot.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 22
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 42
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 15
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 29
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 48
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 44
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 65
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 46
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)