Feb 8, 2011, 2:52 PM EDT
When the New Jersey Devils announced that Martin Brodeur wouldn’t return after leaving Sunday’s game against the Montreal Canadiens, the team described it as a “bruise.”
It’s quite common for a team to be coy when it comes to disclosing injury information, which seems to be the case with the Devils. Tom Gulitti reports that Brodeur will “definitely” miss tonight’s game against the Carolina Hurricanes with a “non-operable knee sprain.”
Lou Lamoriello was his typically cryptic self, only saying that the future Hall of Famer will need to rehab the injury and his status is “day to day.” The Devils did not provide a timetable for Brodeur’s return.
Despite their fun 9-1-2 run, the odds are obviously stacked against a playoff run for New Jersey. Brodeur’s injury might actually end up being a good thing for the Devils’ chances of getting a high draft pick, but either way, we’ll keep you updated about Brodeur’s status.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 54
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 21
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 22
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- LIVE: Stanley Cup Final Game 4 pregame show
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming