Feb 8, 2011, 2:52 PM EST
When the New Jersey Devils announced that Martin Brodeur wouldn’t return after leaving Sunday’s game against the Montreal Canadiens, the team described it as a “bruise.”
It’s quite common for a team to be coy when it comes to disclosing injury information, which seems to be the case with the Devils. Tom Gulitti reports that Brodeur will “definitely” miss tonight’s game against the Carolina Hurricanes with a “non-operable knee sprain.”
Lou Lamoriello was his typically cryptic self, only saying that the future Hall of Famer will need to rehab the injury and his status is “day to day.” The Devils did not provide a timetable for Brodeur’s return.
Despite their fun 9-1-2 run, the odds are obviously stacked against a playoff run for New Jersey. Brodeur’s injury might actually end up being a good thing for the Devils’ chances of getting a high draft pick, but either way, we’ll keep you updated about Brodeur’s status.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 15
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 16
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 7
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8