Feb 8, 2011, 8:07 PM EST
Last night the Vancouver Canucks lost the services of defenseman Keith Ballard after an incident with Ottawa’s Milan Michalek. Ballard and Michalek were jostling for the puck when they skated past where the puck was. The two were tied at the hip and as Michalek went to turn to chase the puck, Ballard stuck with him as they both went down to the ice. Ballard’s leg folded up underneath him and he stayed down on the ice writhing in pain.
Ballard’s injury is bad enough to send him off to get an MRI to see what the damage is and rumors are abounding that Ballard could miss up to a month of action. Michalek says there was no intent to hurt anyone one on the play and that he had trouble sleeping because of the end result of the play. If he’s being insincere he’s doing a heck of a job selling it.
When a play like that happens, people get upset and when it happens in Vancouver, fans and team executives alike get angry. Michalek and the Senators claim there was no ill intent, but Canucks GM Mike Gillis feels otherwise as he told Team 1040 radio today.
“The play, in my opinion, was a violation of the rules, one that is not a highly respected play at this level,” the Canucks GM said. “The puck wasn’t near Keith when it happened and I’m not happy.”
Gillis isn’t the only one calling it a dirty play and some are even going as far to call it a slew foot. Gillis is right as the puck was gone from the play, but if you can tell from the video (which you can see here on YouTube) whether or not Michalek was doing that with ill intent, then a job as a mind reader is in your future.
Plays like this do happen and in this case it appears Michalek was just too tied up with Ballard to get free. This is the sort of situation where it might look like a slew foot but it’s not one just because of the circumstances and physics involved in the play. For now, Canucks fans will drive themselves wild with speculation on how long Ballard will be out until tomorrow when the team finds out just how bad the damage is.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 7
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 9
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)