Feb 8, 2011, 3:36 PM EDT
Here are previews for tonight’s six games. As always, the start times are according to Eastern Standard Time (ET).
Columbus @ Pittsburgh
The Penguins will be shorthanded in this one as they face the OK-as-of-late Blue Jackets at home. Last time these two teams played, Penguins fans flooded Columbus and almost gave their team a home game in Ohio. It’s one of the league’s stealth mini-rivalries.
San Jose @ Washington
This should be an interesting game, as both the Sharks and Capitals seem like they’re on an upward swing. Antti Niemi is giving San Jose increasingly solid work in net while the Caps beat the Penguins and Lightning in their last two games.
Carolina @ New Jersey
This is a great opportunity for the Hurricanes. The Thrashers lost again, Carolina holds three games in hand over Atlanta and Martin Brodeur is injured. The Canes will kick themselves if they don’t win this game.
Toronto @ NY Islanders
The Maple Leafs have won three of their last four games and have a good chance to make it four in five by beating the lowly Islanders. Of course, they are on a five game road losing streak, so they hope to buck that trend in Long Island.
Buffalo @ Tampa Bay
The Lightning will hit the midway point of their 12-game homestand tonight against the Sabres. Buffalo has been playing better lately, but they need every win they can get at this point. These two won’t be easy to come by.
St. Louis @ Florida
The Panthers are just behind the Sabres on a rung right below the Hurricanes and Thrashers for an Eastern Conference playoff spot, so seeing the road-rotten Blues (7-12-5) must be a breath of fresh air. Florida hopes to hand St. Louis their fifth road loss in a row in this game.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 27
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)