Feb 7, 2011, 6:39 PM EDT
Anaheim Ducks captain Ryan Getzlaf has been out with one of the gorier injuries we’ve heard of this year. After being struck in the head by a puck, Getzlaf was knocked out with sinus fractures. We can’t imagine the amount of pain that goes into such a thing, but it’s kept Getzlaf out of 14 straight games. Now it looks like Getzlaf will be back on the ice with the team this week and ready to play on Wednesday against Vancouver as Getzlaf says he’s ready to go.
Getzlaf had 13 goals and 24 assists in 40 games this year and he was undoubtedly the team’s offensive spark plug. With Getzlaf centering Corey Perry on the team’s top line, scoring became a bit easier for Perry and everyone around them on the top line. With Getzlaf out, Perry has continued to score and even earned the NHL’s third star of the week recognition this week.
Getzlaf will be rejoining a Ducks team that has thrived in his absence and holds on to a fifth place tie in the Western Conference with a resurgent San Jose team. You’d have to imagine that with his return and the likely addition of Ray Emery as a backup for Jonas Hiller, the Ducks are shaping up nicely. Getting some better play on defense could make them very dangerous in the playoffs. For now, getting Getzlaf helps make the Ducks more potent offensively and that never hurts to have.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 8
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 24
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 46
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (48)