Feb 7, 2011, 6:39 PM EST
Anaheim Ducks captain Ryan Getzlaf has been out with one of the gorier injuries we’ve heard of this year. After being struck in the head by a puck, Getzlaf was knocked out with sinus fractures. We can’t imagine the amount of pain that goes into such a thing, but it’s kept Getzlaf out of 14 straight games. Now it looks like Getzlaf will be back on the ice with the team this week and ready to play on Wednesday against Vancouver as Getzlaf says he’s ready to go.
Getzlaf had 13 goals and 24 assists in 40 games this year and he was undoubtedly the team’s offensive spark plug. With Getzlaf centering Corey Perry on the team’s top line, scoring became a bit easier for Perry and everyone around them on the top line. With Getzlaf out, Perry has continued to score and even earned the NHL’s third star of the week recognition this week.
Getzlaf will be rejoining a Ducks team that has thrived in his absence and holds on to a fifth place tie in the Western Conference with a resurgent San Jose team. You’d have to imagine that with his return and the likely addition of Ray Emery as a backup for Jonas Hiller, the Ducks are shaping up nicely. Getting some better play on defense could make them very dangerous in the playoffs. For now, getting Getzlaf helps make the Ducks more potent offensively and that never hurts to have.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)