Feb 7, 2011, 6:39 PM EDT
Anaheim Ducks captain Ryan Getzlaf has been out with one of the gorier injuries we’ve heard of this year. After being struck in the head by a puck, Getzlaf was knocked out with sinus fractures. We can’t imagine the amount of pain that goes into such a thing, but it’s kept Getzlaf out of 14 straight games. Now it looks like Getzlaf will be back on the ice with the team this week and ready to play on Wednesday against Vancouver as Getzlaf says he’s ready to go.
Getzlaf had 13 goals and 24 assists in 40 games this year and he was undoubtedly the team’s offensive spark plug. With Getzlaf centering Corey Perry on the team’s top line, scoring became a bit easier for Perry and everyone around them on the top line. With Getzlaf out, Perry has continued to score and even earned the NHL’s third star of the week recognition this week.
Getzlaf will be rejoining a Ducks team that has thrived in his absence and holds on to a fifth place tie in the Western Conference with a resurgent San Jose team. You’d have to imagine that with his return and the likely addition of Ray Emery as a backup for Jonas Hiller, the Ducks are shaping up nicely. Getting some better play on defense could make them very dangerous in the playoffs. For now, getting Getzlaf helps make the Ducks more potent offensively and that never hurts to have.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 92
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (92)