Feb 7, 2011, 6:39 PM EDT
Anaheim Ducks captain Ryan Getzlaf has been out with one of the gorier injuries we’ve heard of this year. After being struck in the head by a puck, Getzlaf was knocked out with sinus fractures. We can’t imagine the amount of pain that goes into such a thing, but it’s kept Getzlaf out of 14 straight games. Now it looks like Getzlaf will be back on the ice with the team this week and ready to play on Wednesday against Vancouver as Getzlaf says he’s ready to go.
Getzlaf had 13 goals and 24 assists in 40 games this year and he was undoubtedly the team’s offensive spark plug. With Getzlaf centering Corey Perry on the team’s top line, scoring became a bit easier for Perry and everyone around them on the top line. With Getzlaf out, Perry has continued to score and even earned the NHL’s third star of the week recognition this week.
Getzlaf will be rejoining a Ducks team that has thrived in his absence and holds on to a fifth place tie in the Western Conference with a resurgent San Jose team. You’d have to imagine that with his return and the likely addition of Ray Emery as a backup for Jonas Hiller, the Ducks are shaping up nicely. Getting some better play on defense could make them very dangerous in the playoffs. For now, getting Getzlaf helps make the Ducks more potent offensively and that never hurts to have.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)