Feb 7, 2011, 2:11 PM EST
It’s pretty rare when a guy can make his case for player of the week based around just one game but that’s exactly what Detroit’s Johan Franzen did with his five-goal game against Ottawa. Franzen was named the NHL’s number one star of the week thanks to his goal explosion and the Mule-Trick was the NHL’s first five-goal game since 2007 when Marian Gaborik scored five with the Wild against the Rangers.
Catching the runner up prizes this week were Vancouver’s Mikael Samuelsson as the number two star and Anaheim’s Corey Perry as the number three star of the week. Samuelsson led the NHL in scoring last week with two goals and four assists helping the Canucks go 3-0-0 on the week.
Perry had a hat trick of his own coming against Colorado last week. He also had two assists in a 4-3 loss to the Sharks. For Perry, it’s been a breakout season for him and one that’s seen him thrive while Ryan Getzlaf has been out of the lineup with sinus fractures. His 56 points leads the Ducks in scoring and puts him seventh in the NHL. He’s just four goals shy of his career high of 32.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 20
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)