Feb 7, 2011, 2:11 PM EST
It’s pretty rare when a guy can make his case for player of the week based around just one game but that’s exactly what Detroit’s Johan Franzen did with his five-goal game against Ottawa. Franzen was named the NHL’s number one star of the week thanks to his goal explosion and the Mule-Trick was the NHL’s first five-goal game since 2007 when Marian Gaborik scored five with the Wild against the Rangers.
Catching the runner up prizes this week were Vancouver’s Mikael Samuelsson as the number two star and Anaheim’s Corey Perry as the number three star of the week. Samuelsson led the NHL in scoring last week with two goals and four assists helping the Canucks go 3-0-0 on the week.
Perry had a hat trick of his own coming against Colorado last week. He also had two assists in a 4-3 loss to the Sharks. For Perry, it’s been a breakout season for him and one that’s seen him thrive while Ryan Getzlaf has been out of the lineup with sinus fractures. His 56 points leads the Ducks in scoring and puts him seventh in the NHL. He’s just four goals shy of his career high of 32.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (121)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)