Feb 7, 2011, 5:31 PM EDT
Bruins fans’ worst fears were confirmed today when GM Peter Chiarelli and team physician Dr. Peter Asnis announced today that star center Marc Savard would miss the remainder of the regular season as well as the playoffs thanks to the concussion he suffered two weeks ago against Colorado.
A sad and scared-looking Savard spoke with reporters today at a press conference in Boston to discuss his latest situation and it’s eerily similar to what he dealt with last March after his concussion against the Penguins thanks to Matt Cooke‘s disgusting blow to the head.
“Still some headaches off and on,” said Savard, who appeared pale, tired, and withdrawn during a 23-minute press conference at TD Garden. “I think the thing that scares me the most are little memory things, where I forget that I’ve asked someone a question, or little things like that that scare me. The odd dizzy stuff, so that’s also something that worries me.”
Savard went on to say that he blacked out briefly after the hit he took from Matt Hunwick that put him on the shelf for the year but he doesn’t hold anything against Hunwick for the hit. Savard says he’s heard from Hunwick a couple of times since the hit and he’s apologized for what happened. As for what Savard will do now, he says he’ll spend more time with his family at home now and travel from there to Boston to keep up with the team and get treatment. For now, rest and no stress is what Savard will be doing to try and alleviate his concussion symptoms.
The Bruins are placing Savard on long-term injured reserve which gives the B’s salary cap relief for the amount of Savard’s contract meaning they can add just over $4 million more in salary to get someone to fill out their ranks. Whether or not the Bruins will make adding another forward a priority over addressing their defensive woes remains to be seen, but Chiarelli knows that finding someone of Savard’s capability will be nearly impossible to do.
For now, youngster Zach Hamill will get a chance to play some with the Bruins and try to keep things going positively with the big club. He’s got big shoes to try and fill and if things don’t go well there, the pressure will be amped up on Chiarelli to make a move to help the Bruins down the stretch.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:56 AM EDT
Get out the swear jar.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:11 AM EDT
Yeah, he was.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
It finally happened and it happened with a late goal.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:57 PM EDT
Caught Taylor Hall with a heavy hit earlier in the game.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:24 PM EDT
Now, can they hang on for the win?
Oct 20, 2014, 11:07 PM EDT
Talking about the Oilers perhaps trading one of their young players.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
Heavy hit along the boards.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
That’s about as much trash talk as you’re going to get from Willie D.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT
Alex Killorn is – again, this is based on same report – out of the lineup.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
“He’s got to go and maybe play out of the spotlight that we have here in Toronto.”
Oct 20, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
“I’ve played three games and it hasn’t gone even close to the way it needs to be.”
Oct 20, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
Leafs add some organizational depth.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Colorado, getting some good news in goal.
Oct 20, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
Caps are off on a road trip to Western Canada.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Coach Cooper cites the long trip to Edmonton from Syracuse as reason to keep the rookie out against the Oilers.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
A fairly well-deserved honor.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
News and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 20, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Matt Bartkowski expected to step in tomorrow versus San Jose.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Already has seven points in seven games this season.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)