Feb 7, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
Ilya Kovalchuk and the Devils have had a down year, but that still doesn’t mean that he’s going to stop trying to score goals, especially with an empty net involved. Being able to score on an empty net without putting it in the goal, though, is a new trick.
With the Devils ahead 3-1 in the closing moments of the game and Carey Price on the bench for an extra attacker, Kovalchuk streaked down the ice towards the empty cage looking to put the final goal home. Kovalchuk crossed the blue line and was hooked down by P.K. Subban while getting the shot away on net. The puck hit the post but Kovalchuk was awarded the goal for Subban’s interference on the play. It’s within the referees powers to do that and for Kovalchuk it was his second of the game and 17th of the season.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)