Feb 7, 2011, 9:00 AM EST
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
Ilya Kovalchuk and the Devils have had a down year, but that still doesn’t mean that he’s going to stop trying to score goals, especially with an empty net involved. Being able to score on an empty net without putting it in the goal, though, is a new trick.
With the Devils ahead 3-1 in the closing moments of the game and Carey Price on the bench for an extra attacker, Kovalchuk streaked down the ice towards the empty cage looking to put the final goal home. Kovalchuk crossed the blue line and was hooked down by P.K. Subban while getting the shot away on net. The puck hit the post but Kovalchuk was awarded the goal for Subban’s interference on the play. It’s within the referees powers to do that and for Kovalchuk it was his second of the game and 17th of the season.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54