Feb 7, 2011, 5:58 PM EDT
During yesterday’s NBC Game of the Week, Washington’s Mike Green was struck in the head by the puck from a slap shot by Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik. Green fell to the ice, bleeding from his head and was helped off the ice. Green didn’t play the rest of the game and today we learn that he’ll miss tomorrow’s game against San Jose with concussion symptoms.
Green is Washington’s top performing defenseman and losing him stings their ability to generate offense. While his and other Caps players offensive numbers are a bit off compared to past seasons, Green’s ability to help the offense is huge for a team that has had a hard enough time scoring. Green has eight goals and 16 assists this season for Washington and is a +10 in plus/minus. More importantly though Green has been a minute-eating monster this year averaging over 25 minutes of ice time this year.
If Green is out for a substantial amount of time, replacing his minutes and offensive skill will be tough hills to climb for the Capitals who are just now showing signs of breaking out of their season-long offensive slumber. How they handle this adversity will be a key point for them should Green miss significant time.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 5
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)