Feb 7, 2011, 5:58 PM EDT
During yesterday’s NBC Game of the Week, Washington’s Mike Green was struck in the head by the puck from a slap shot by Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik. Green fell to the ice, bleeding from his head and was helped off the ice. Green didn’t play the rest of the game and today we learn that he’ll miss tomorrow’s game against San Jose with concussion symptoms.
Green is Washington’s top performing defenseman and losing him stings their ability to generate offense. While his and other Caps players offensive numbers are a bit off compared to past seasons, Green’s ability to help the offense is huge for a team that has had a hard enough time scoring. Green has eight goals and 16 assists this season for Washington and is a +10 in plus/minus. More importantly though Green has been a minute-eating monster this year averaging over 25 minutes of ice time this year.
If Green is out for a substantial amount of time, replacing his minutes and offensive skill will be tough hills to climb for the Capitals who are just now showing signs of breaking out of their season-long offensive slumber. How they handle this adversity will be a key point for them should Green miss significant time.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)