Feb 7, 2011, 5:58 PM EST
During yesterday’s NBC Game of the Week, Washington’s Mike Green was struck in the head by the puck from a slap shot by Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik. Green fell to the ice, bleeding from his head and was helped off the ice. Green didn’t play the rest of the game and today we learn that he’ll miss tomorrow’s game against San Jose with concussion symptoms.
Green is Washington’s top performing defenseman and losing him stings their ability to generate offense. While his and other Caps players offensive numbers are a bit off compared to past seasons, Green’s ability to help the offense is huge for a team that has had a hard enough time scoring. Green has eight goals and 16 assists this season for Washington and is a +10 in plus/minus. More importantly though Green has been a minute-eating monster this year averaging over 25 minutes of ice time this year.
If Green is out for a substantial amount of time, replacing his minutes and offensive skill will be tough hills to climb for the Capitals who are just now showing signs of breaking out of their season-long offensive slumber. How they handle this adversity will be a key point for them should Green miss significant time.
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 1
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 7
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 8
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 9
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 21
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)