Feb 7, 2011, 5:58 PM EDT
During yesterday’s NBC Game of the Week, Washington’s Mike Green was struck in the head by the puck from a slap shot by Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik. Green fell to the ice, bleeding from his head and was helped off the ice. Green didn’t play the rest of the game and today we learn that he’ll miss tomorrow’s game against San Jose with concussion symptoms.
Green is Washington’s top performing defenseman and losing him stings their ability to generate offense. While his and other Caps players offensive numbers are a bit off compared to past seasons, Green’s ability to help the offense is huge for a team that has had a hard enough time scoring. Green has eight goals and 16 assists this season for Washington and is a +10 in plus/minus. More importantly though Green has been a minute-eating monster this year averaging over 25 minutes of ice time this year.
If Green is out for a substantial amount of time, replacing his minutes and offensive skill will be tough hills to climb for the Capitals who are just now showing signs of breaking out of their season-long offensive slumber. How they handle this adversity will be a key point for them should Green miss significant time.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 8
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 35
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)