Feb 7, 2011, 5:58 PM EDT
During yesterday’s NBC Game of the Week, Washington’s Mike Green was struck in the head by the puck from a slap shot by Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik. Green fell to the ice, bleeding from his head and was helped off the ice. Green didn’t play the rest of the game and today we learn that he’ll miss tomorrow’s game against San Jose with concussion symptoms.
Green is Washington’s top performing defenseman and losing him stings their ability to generate offense. While his and other Caps players offensive numbers are a bit off compared to past seasons, Green’s ability to help the offense is huge for a team that has had a hard enough time scoring. Green has eight goals and 16 assists this season for Washington and is a +10 in plus/minus. More importantly though Green has been a minute-eating monster this year averaging over 25 minutes of ice time this year.
If Green is out for a substantial amount of time, replacing his minutes and offensive skill will be tough hills to climb for the Capitals who are just now showing signs of breaking out of their season-long offensive slumber. How they handle this adversity will be a key point for them should Green miss significant time.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)