Feb 6, 2011, 3:44 PM EDT
While this afternoon’s Game of the Week between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals might have been a preview of a possible first round series, it was also an example of two teams fighting tough injuries. Sure, the Penguins received the most attention for missing Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, but the Capitals weren’t at full strength either. They lost Mike Green after the first period and have been skating without sniper Alex Semin for quite some time.
Mike Milbury and Pierre McGuire discussed two other teams that are persevering quite nicely despite some serious injury issues: the New York Rangers and Detroit Red Wings.
Milbury points out that one thing the Rangers can count on is the exemplary goaltending of Henrik Lundqvist.
Unfortunately, Milbury points out that the Red Wings are dealing with the declining netminding of Jimmy Howard. Howard received plenty of Calder Trophy attention last season thanks to his breakout year and was playing pretty well for a chunk of the 2010-11 season, but his play has been going downhill for months now. Perhaps the biggest blow to his confidence came when the team attempted to acquire Evgeni Nabokov, something Mike and Pierre discuss in the video below.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)