Feb 6, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
The Central Division-leading Detroit Red Wings and Northeast Division’s top team the Boston Bruins will square off in a home-and-home series next weekend, with Sunday’s game being the next NBC Game of the Week.
The two teams can bring offense and great defense to the table, as the Bruins sport mammoth defenseman Zdeno Chara while the Red Wings employ age-less wonder Nicklas Lidstrom. Tim Thomas will be put to the test against Detroit’s creative (if currently struggling) attack while Jimmy Howard will be tested by red-hot Patrice Bergeron and the varied Bruins offense.
These teams don’t meet often, but it’s not outside the realm of possibility that the two could square off in this year’s Stanley Cup finals.
Doc Emrick and Eddie Olczyk provide a preview for this intriguing matchup, which will take place at 12:30 pm ET at Joe Louis Arena.
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 0
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 1
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112