Feb 6, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
The Central Division-leading Detroit Red Wings and Northeast Division’s top team the Boston Bruins will square off in a home-and-home series next weekend, with Sunday’s game being the next NBC Game of the Week.
The two teams can bring offense and great defense to the table, as the Bruins sport mammoth defenseman Zdeno Chara while the Red Wings employ age-less wonder Nicklas Lidstrom. Tim Thomas will be put to the test against Detroit’s creative (if currently struggling) attack while Jimmy Howard will be tested by red-hot Patrice Bergeron and the varied Bruins offense.
These teams don’t meet often, but it’s not outside the realm of possibility that the two could square off in this year’s Stanley Cup finals.
Doc Emrick and Eddie Olczyk provide a preview for this intriguing matchup, which will take place at 12:30 pm ET at Joe Louis Arena.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)