Feb 6, 2011, 5:00 PM EST
The Central Division-leading Detroit Red Wings and Northeast Division’s top team the Boston Bruins will square off in a home-and-home series next weekend, with Sunday’s game being the next NBC Game of the Week.
The two teams can bring offense and great defense to the table, as the Bruins sport mammoth defenseman Zdeno Chara while the Red Wings employ age-less wonder Nicklas Lidstrom. Tim Thomas will be put to the test against Detroit’s creative (if currently struggling) attack while Jimmy Howard will be tested by red-hot Patrice Bergeron and the varied Bruins offense.
These teams don’t meet often, but it’s not outside the realm of possibility that the two could square off in this year’s Stanley Cup finals.
Doc Emrick and Eddie Olczyk provide a preview for this intriguing matchup, which will take place at 12:30 pm ET at Joe Louis Arena.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)