Feb 6, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
When it comes to team-building strategies, it seems like teams like the Philadelphia Flyers opt for a risky (but often fruitful) tight-rope system that involves making small monetary investments in goalies. The logic is simple: by saving money in net, the team is able to surround those goalies with a superior supporting cast.
There was some time when that seemed like such a great plan that it made teams who went with the opposite approach (spending big on “proven” goalies to camouflage roster blemishes) look downright silly to me. Of course, further inspection shows that there are many ways to skin that cat, though. (Although if forced to choose one path, I’d follow the Flyers model.)
The Minnesota Wild might be the ultimate example of the opposite approach: both starter Niklas Backstrom ($6 million annual cap hit) and backup Jose Theodore ($1 million) are among the most expensive goalies in their categories. Every once and a while, the Wild really get what they pay for. It might look like a relatively simple save, but Backstrom’s pad stop was an example of world-class reflexes and anticipation. That stop earned the Wild’s $6 million man the Save of the Night for February 5th.
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 3
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 24
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 38
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 12
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 63
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (165)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)