Feb 6, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
For a recap of the NBC Game of the Week between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals, click here. Here are quick summaries of the other hockey games that took place during Super Bowl Sunday.
The Devils seem to relish their current role of “spoilers.” That role will be much tougher to fill if Martin Brodeur’s bruise is something more sinister, though. Then again, red-hot New Jersey might benefit in the long run if he misses games and they end their seemingly pointless winning streak. Ilya Kovalchuk scored two goals in this one, as the Russian player seems to be playing really well in what must be a depressingly familiar situation from his days in Atlanta.
This loss leaves the Canadiens two points behind the Boston Bruins for the top spot in the Northeast Division. The Bruins also hold a game in hand, so they can build up a minor cushion with some thanks to the suddenly pesky Devils.
Steven Stamkos supplied a Super Sunday for Tampa Bay, with one goal and three assists. Vincent Lecavalier scored the overtime winner on the power play with only seven seconds left in the extra time. Marc-Andre Bergeron had a nice debut with Tampa Bay, earning two assists including the primary helper on that Lecavalier OT GWG.
Ty Conklin kept St. Louis in the game, producing a nice 36 for 40 save performance, but Dan Ellis achieved his 13th win of the season.
Tampa Bay re-established their three point (and four win) lead over the Washington Capitals in the race for the Southeast Division title. The Lightning have won four of the first five games in their huge 12 game homestand. Meanwhile, the Blues are stuck in second-to-last place in the Western Conference with 54 standings points.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)