Feb 6, 2011, 6:00 PM EST
For a recap of the NBC Game of the Week between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals, click here. Here are quick summaries of the other hockey games that took place during Super Bowl Sunday.
The Devils seem to relish their current role of “spoilers.” That role will be much tougher to fill if Martin Brodeur’s bruise is something more sinister, though. Then again, red-hot New Jersey might benefit in the long run if he misses games and they end their seemingly pointless winning streak. Ilya Kovalchuk scored two goals in this one, as the Russian player seems to be playing really well in what must be a depressingly familiar situation from his days in Atlanta.
This loss leaves the Canadiens two points behind the Boston Bruins for the top spot in the Northeast Division. The Bruins also hold a game in hand, so they can build up a minor cushion with some thanks to the suddenly pesky Devils.
Steven Stamkos supplied a Super Sunday for Tampa Bay, with one goal and three assists. Vincent Lecavalier scored the overtime winner on the power play with only seven seconds left in the extra time. Marc-Andre Bergeron had a nice debut with Tampa Bay, earning two assists including the primary helper on that Lecavalier OT GWG.
Ty Conklin kept St. Louis in the game, producing a nice 36 for 40 save performance, but Dan Ellis achieved his 13th win of the season.
Tampa Bay re-established their three point (and four win) lead over the Washington Capitals in the race for the Southeast Division title. The Lightning have won four of the first five games in their huge 12 game homestand. Meanwhile, the Blues are stuck in second-to-last place in the Western Conference with 54 standings points.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 35
- Mike Richards clears waivers 31
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 55
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)