Feb 6, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
For a recap of the NBC Game of the Week between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals, click here. Here are quick summaries of the other hockey games that took place during Super Bowl Sunday.
The Devils seem to relish their current role of “spoilers.” That role will be much tougher to fill if Martin Brodeur’s bruise is something more sinister, though. Then again, red-hot New Jersey might benefit in the long run if he misses games and they end their seemingly pointless winning streak. Ilya Kovalchuk scored two goals in this one, as the Russian player seems to be playing really well in what must be a depressingly familiar situation from his days in Atlanta.
This loss leaves the Canadiens two points behind the Boston Bruins for the top spot in the Northeast Division. The Bruins also hold a game in hand, so they can build up a minor cushion with some thanks to the suddenly pesky Devils.
Steven Stamkos supplied a Super Sunday for Tampa Bay, with one goal and three assists. Vincent Lecavalier scored the overtime winner on the power play with only seven seconds left in the extra time. Marc-Andre Bergeron had a nice debut with Tampa Bay, earning two assists including the primary helper on that Lecavalier OT GWG.
Ty Conklin kept St. Louis in the game, producing a nice 36 for 40 save performance, but Dan Ellis achieved his 13th win of the season.
Tampa Bay re-established their three point (and four win) lead over the Washington Capitals in the race for the Southeast Division title. The Lightning have won four of the first five games in their huge 12 game homestand. Meanwhile, the Blues are stuck in second-to-last place in the Western Conference with 54 standings points.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 30
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 18
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 82
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (82)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)