Feb 6, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
For a recap of the NBC Game of the Week between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals, click here. Here are quick summaries of the other hockey games that took place during Super Bowl Sunday.
The Devils seem to relish their current role of “spoilers.” That role will be much tougher to fill if Martin Brodeur’s bruise is something more sinister, though. Then again, red-hot New Jersey might benefit in the long run if he misses games and they end their seemingly pointless winning streak. Ilya Kovalchuk scored two goals in this one, as the Russian player seems to be playing really well in what must be a depressingly familiar situation from his days in Atlanta.
This loss leaves the Canadiens two points behind the Boston Bruins for the top spot in the Northeast Division. The Bruins also hold a game in hand, so they can build up a minor cushion with some thanks to the suddenly pesky Devils.
Steven Stamkos supplied a Super Sunday for Tampa Bay, with one goal and three assists. Vincent Lecavalier scored the overtime winner on the power play with only seven seconds left in the extra time. Marc-Andre Bergeron had a nice debut with Tampa Bay, earning two assists including the primary helper on that Lecavalier OT GWG.
Ty Conklin kept St. Louis in the game, producing a nice 36 for 40 save performance, but Dan Ellis achieved his 13th win of the season.
Tampa Bay re-established their three point (and four win) lead over the Washington Capitals in the race for the Southeast Division title. The Lightning have won four of the first five games in their huge 12 game homestand. Meanwhile, the Blues are stuck in second-to-last place in the Western Conference with 54 standings points.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 0
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 0
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 12
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 14
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 10
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 11
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)