Feb 6, 2011, 1:40 AM EDT
R.J. Umberger factored into all four Blue Jackets goals (two goals and two assists) while Kristian Huselius avenged a healthy scratch with two of those tallies as Columbus squeaked by the Oilers in this action-packed game. Magnus Paajarvi scored two goals in a losing cause for a pesky Edmonton team that had a 3-2 lead before the Jackets stormed back.
Robin Lehner made a bonehead move by elbowing Islanders goalie Kevin Poulin as the two netminders passed each other at the end of the second period and the Isles made him pay to begin the third. Rob Schremp scored his second goal of the game on that ensuing power play, continuing the misery that is the Senators’ free-fall from playoff hopefuls to cellar dwellers.
Brian Boucher made 30 saves while three different Flyers scored goals to help Philly best the Stars. Kari Lehtonen was very strong for Dallas in his own right, making 29 out of 32 saves in a losing effort.
The Sabres (along with the Florida Panthers) are a rung below the Canes and Thrashers in the race for the last playoff spot, but they’re picking up steam with five wins in their last seven games. Drew Stafford scored two goals and one assist as Buffalo out-shot Toronto 43-25 in a dominating home win.
The super-talented Red Wings have had a rough weekend. Detroit has been shut out in consecutive games, as division foes from Nashville and Columbus beat them 3-0 each. Pekka Rinne was the main reason the Wings had so much trouble Saturday night, as he made 35 saves to blank Detroit.
The Coyotes went back to the basics with this game, grinding out a 1-0 win on the strength of a Taylor Pyatt goal, 41 shots and Ilya Bryzgalov’s fourth shutout of the season.
Justin Williams had a goal, two assists and the shootout winner to help the Kings win a match between two of the hotter teams in the league. Alex Tanguay scored two goals to help Calgary get to overtime, but the Flames’ six-game winning streak dissolved after Los Angeles won the skills contest. The Kings now find themselves in eighth place in the West with 60 points while the Flames aren’t far behind in 10th with 59.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)