Feb 6, 2011, 1:16 PM EDT
It makes sense that the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals are squaring off on Super Bowl Sunday, because the two heated rivals are playing a game of inches right now. This is the hockey equivalent of a football game in which two teams grind out three yard rushes over and over again, waiting for the other side to give in.
The Penguins blinked first, as Brooks Laich scored a rebound goal to give the Capitals a 1-0 lead.
Despite the fact that Pittsburgh trails going into the first intermission, the pace and style benefits Dan Bylsma’s star-starved Penguins, who must prefer the game’s current North-South attitude. The first period featured precious few second chances and moments of sustained pressure for either side, as both teams are moving the puck out of their zones with dizzying speed. That being said, the Capitals might be able to exploit some opportunities from the point, as they did on the game’s only goal.
While that mode of play lacks for creativity, the pace of the game has been impressive for an unusual afternoon start time.
The period ended tensely, as Mike Green was bloodied when a Brooks Orpik shot hit him in the ear or the side of the head. Green was able to leave the ice under his own power; we’ll let you know if he sustains a serious injury from that errant puck.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 3
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 49
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 43
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 55
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal