Feb 6, 2011, 2:12 PM EDT
The first period was reasonably even matched despite the disparity in star power between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals, but the Caps looked like they would take a commanding lead in the second period.
Marcus Johansson scored thanks to a seeing-eye backhand shot while Washington was shorthanded, but Marc-Andre Fleury kept the Penguins in the game by making some huge saves when things looked especially dire.
The box score might read that the two teams tied with 10 shots each, but the fact is that the game could have been long gone. To Pittsburgh’s credit, they seemed to settle down after Fleury made some big stops on the penalty kill.
Mike Green’s exact status is not clear just yet, but the Capitals’ most important defenseman did not return to the bench during the middle period.
Washington is in the driver’s seat with a 2-0 lead, but they need to find the right balance between protecting their lead and taking their foot off the gas in the third period. We’ll be there to cover it for you, so feel free to follow our chat and online coverage here.
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 23
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 132
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 15
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 24
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (142)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)