Feb 6, 2011, 2:12 PM EDT
The first period was reasonably even matched despite the disparity in star power between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals, but the Caps looked like they would take a commanding lead in the second period.
Marcus Johansson scored thanks to a seeing-eye backhand shot while Washington was shorthanded, but Marc-Andre Fleury kept the Penguins in the game by making some huge saves when things looked especially dire.
The box score might read that the two teams tied with 10 shots each, but the fact is that the game could have been long gone. To Pittsburgh’s credit, they seemed to settle down after Fleury made some big stops on the penalty kill.
Mike Green’s exact status is not clear just yet, but the Capitals’ most important defenseman did not return to the bench during the middle period.
Washington is in the driver’s seat with a 2-0 lead, but they need to find the right balance between protecting their lead and taking their foot off the gas in the third period. We’ll be there to cover it for you, so feel free to follow our chat and online coverage here.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 16
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 54
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)