Feb 6, 2011, 2:12 PM EDT
The first period was reasonably even matched despite the disparity in star power between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals, but the Caps looked like they would take a commanding lead in the second period.
Marcus Johansson scored thanks to a seeing-eye backhand shot while Washington was shorthanded, but Marc-Andre Fleury kept the Penguins in the game by making some huge saves when things looked especially dire.
The box score might read that the two teams tied with 10 shots each, but the fact is that the game could have been long gone. To Pittsburgh’s credit, they seemed to settle down after Fleury made some big stops on the penalty kill.
Mike Green’s exact status is not clear just yet, but the Capitals’ most important defenseman did not return to the bench during the middle period.
Washington is in the driver’s seat with a 2-0 lead, but they need to find the right balance between protecting their lead and taking their foot off the gas in the third period. We’ll be there to cover it for you, so feel free to follow our chat and online coverage here.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 0
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 8
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 2
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)