Feb 5, 2011, 8:41 PM EST
If you ask me, it never hurts to have a few extra NHL-ready defensemen around.
Steve Yzerman would probably agree with this statement, as he made the wise decision to give offensive defenseman Marc-Andre Bergeron the chance to play his way into the team’s rotation this season. Bergeron got his legs back under him in the AHL and with Mike Lundin injured and Mattias Ohlund banged up, the team decided to recall the specialized blueliner.
Although Bergeron showed the occasional shred of defensive acumen during his time in Minnesota (perhaps because Jacques Lemaire wouldn’t allow anything less), he’s very much an offensive-minded defensemen. You won’t want to line him up against a team’s best forward line, but he can be an asset on the power play and on the attack.
Bergeron has a .49 point per game average in his NHL career, a solid rate for a D-man. He scored two goals and six assists for eight points in 13 games with the Norfolk Admirals in the AHL this season, so at least that part of his game seems intact.
Considering the firepower Tampa Bay employs in their forward corps, Bergeron could put up some nice numbers if he gets big PP minutes. The Lightning play their next eight games at home, so they can take some time to integrate him into the lineup and milk favorable matchups. Unless, of course, they just decide to make him a healthy scratch/depth guy.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 0
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 45
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 71
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (72)