Feb 5, 2011, 3:38 PM EDT
If you found yourself impressed by Zdeno Chara firing a puck at 105.9 mph last weekend in Raleigh during the NHL SuperSkills, the KHL would like you to know they’ve got a big bomber of their own.
The KHL is holding their own All-Star Game this weekend and part of that is the skills competition featuring their own hardest shot competition and Denis Kulyash served notice to the world that Chara isn’t the only guy that can try and break the sound barrier with a slap shot. Kulyash won the competition handily firing a shot at 177.58 km/h, a figure that translates to 110.3 mph, destroying Chara’s record that he set last week. You can see video of Kulyash’s shots here on YouTube.
The mark is stunning and one that has never been seen in such a competition ever before and cracking the 110 mph barrier is terrifying all the same. If you’re curious as to whether or not there’s a possibility we could see Kulyash in the NHL, he was drafted by the Nashville Predators in 2004. Imagine having him and Shea Weber teamed up on the point during a power play. Having one guy cranking them at the net at 110 and the other at 104 is mind-boggling.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 99
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (100)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)