Feb 5, 2011, 3:38 PM EDT
If you found yourself impressed by Zdeno Chara firing a puck at 105.9 mph last weekend in Raleigh during the NHL SuperSkills, the KHL would like you to know they’ve got a big bomber of their own.
The KHL is holding their own All-Star Game this weekend and part of that is the skills competition featuring their own hardest shot competition and Denis Kulyash served notice to the world that Chara isn’t the only guy that can try and break the sound barrier with a slap shot. Kulyash won the competition handily firing a shot at 177.58 km/h, a figure that translates to 110.3 mph, destroying Chara’s record that he set last week. You can see video of Kulyash’s shots here on YouTube.
The mark is stunning and one that has never been seen in such a competition ever before and cracking the 110 mph barrier is terrifying all the same. If you’re curious as to whether or not there’s a possibility we could see Kulyash in the NHL, he was drafted by the Nashville Predators in 2004. Imagine having him and Shea Weber teamed up on the point during a power play. Having one guy cranking them at the net at 110 and the other at 104 is mind-boggling.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 58
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 5
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 29
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 15
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 73
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 8
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination