Feb 5, 2011, 3:38 PM EDT
If you found yourself impressed by Zdeno Chara firing a puck at 105.9 mph last weekend in Raleigh during the NHL SuperSkills, the KHL would like you to know they’ve got a big bomber of their own.
The KHL is holding their own All-Star Game this weekend and part of that is the skills competition featuring their own hardest shot competition and Denis Kulyash served notice to the world that Chara isn’t the only guy that can try and break the sound barrier with a slap shot. Kulyash won the competition handily firing a shot at 177.58 km/h, a figure that translates to 110.3 mph, destroying Chara’s record that he set last week. You can see video of Kulyash’s shots here on YouTube.
The mark is stunning and one that has never been seen in such a competition ever before and cracking the 110 mph barrier is terrifying all the same. If you’re curious as to whether or not there’s a possibility we could see Kulyash in the NHL, he was drafted by the Nashville Predators in 2004. Imagine having him and Shea Weber teamed up on the point during a power play. Having one guy cranking them at the net at 110 and the other at 104 is mind-boggling.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)