Feb 5, 2011, 3:38 PM EDT
If you found yourself impressed by Zdeno Chara firing a puck at 105.9 mph last weekend in Raleigh during the NHL SuperSkills, the KHL would like you to know they’ve got a big bomber of their own.
The KHL is holding their own All-Star Game this weekend and part of that is the skills competition featuring their own hardest shot competition and Denis Kulyash served notice to the world that Chara isn’t the only guy that can try and break the sound barrier with a slap shot. Kulyash won the competition handily firing a shot at 177.58 km/h, a figure that translates to 110.3 mph, destroying Chara’s record that he set last week. You can see video of Kulyash’s shots here on YouTube.
The mark is stunning and one that has never been seen in such a competition ever before and cracking the 110 mph barrier is terrifying all the same. If you’re curious as to whether or not there’s a possibility we could see Kulyash in the NHL, he was drafted by the Nashville Predators in 2004. Imagine having him and Shea Weber teamed up on the point during a power play. Having one guy cranking them at the net at 110 and the other at 104 is mind-boggling.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 8
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 35
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)