Feb 4, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
Dustin Byfuglien gets a lot of the credit for the Atlanta Thrashers’ once-hot run, and rightly so. Still, one player who hasn’t gotten enough credit – both this year and seasons past – is offensive defenseman Tobias Enstrom.
He was going to get a nice chance for some rare recognition after becoming a selection to this year’s All-Star Game, but a broken finger derailed his hopes on January 22nd. NHL.com reports that the team placed him on the injured reserve retroactive to the day of that injury.
Enstrom scored 41 points (eight goals and 33 assists) in 50 games this season, so he will obviously be missed. The defenseman also had the longest streak of games played in Thrashers history before the injury, appearing in 296 games in a row from October 5, 2007 through January 22, 2010 (according to NHL.com).
Perhaps it’s not a mystery that Byfuglien’s numbers (and the Thrashers’ good fortunes) have sagged lately without Enstrom in the fold. We’ll keep you up to date regarding his injury status going forward.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)