Feb 4, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
Dustin Byfuglien gets a lot of the credit for the Atlanta Thrashers’ once-hot run, and rightly so. Still, one player who hasn’t gotten enough credit – both this year and seasons past – is offensive defenseman Tobias Enstrom.
He was going to get a nice chance for some rare recognition after becoming a selection to this year’s All-Star Game, but a broken finger derailed his hopes on January 22nd. NHL.com reports that the team placed him on the injured reserve retroactive to the day of that injury.
Enstrom scored 41 points (eight goals and 33 assists) in 50 games this season, so he will obviously be missed. The defenseman also had the longest streak of games played in Thrashers history before the injury, appearing in 296 games in a row from October 5, 2007 through January 22, 2010 (according to NHL.com).
Perhaps it’s not a mystery that Byfuglien’s numbers (and the Thrashers’ good fortunes) have sagged lately without Enstrom in the fold. We’ll keep you up to date regarding his injury status going forward.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)