Feb 4, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
As we’ve discussed before, there tend to be two types of saves that win these nightly awards. The first is a big stop that earns the award because of how important it might have been during a given game. The alternate version is a relatively insignificant stop that nonetheless leaves people with their jaws dropped.
Cam Ward’s stop was a great example of that alternate version. His save is spell-binding, but it didn’t really matter; the Hurricanes lost 3-0 and the Maple Leafs actually cashed in shortly after that stunning stop. Still, that doesn’t change the fact that it’s an amazing save. You can see Ward’s winner as well as the Leafs’ third goal in this video below.
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 0
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 12
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14