Feb 4, 2011, 4:33 PM EST
The short term tension of Sami Salo’s impending return was reduced because of Alex Edler’s lengthy injury, so the Vancouver Canucks can ponder the defenseman’s comeback without reaching for an antacid or two. At least for now.
Salo began one of the most substantial parts of the rehab process today, as the team assigned him to the AHL’s Manitoba Moose (minor league sports teams have the best names, don’t they?) for a conditioning stint. The Globe & Mail reports that he might actually dress for the team’s game against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins tonight.
His most recent NHL appearance came during the team’s playoff run in May. The hard shooting Finn hasn’t hit the 70-games played mark since the 2003-04 season. He played in 68 games in 2009-10, scoring nine goals and 19 assists for 28 points. Salo could be a valuable commodity if he can get up to full speed by the playoffs, even if his $3.5 million cap hit can cause almost as many headaches as his slap shot.
We’ll keep you updated as Salo approaches in return with the big club.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (43)