Feb 4, 2011, 4:33 PM EDT
The short term tension of Sami Salo’s impending return was reduced because of Alex Edler’s lengthy injury, so the Vancouver Canucks can ponder the defenseman’s comeback without reaching for an antacid or two. At least for now.
Salo began one of the most substantial parts of the rehab process today, as the team assigned him to the AHL’s Manitoba Moose (minor league sports teams have the best names, don’t they?) for a conditioning stint. The Globe & Mail reports that he might actually dress for the team’s game against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins tonight.
His most recent NHL appearance came during the team’s playoff run in May. The hard shooting Finn hasn’t hit the 70-games played mark since the 2003-04 season. He played in 68 games in 2009-10, scoring nine goals and 19 assists for 28 points. Salo could be a valuable commodity if he can get up to full speed by the playoffs, even if his $3.5 million cap hit can cause almost as many headaches as his slap shot.
We’ll keep you updated as Salo approaches in return with the big club.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 9
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 15
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)