Feb 4, 2011, 4:33 PM EDT
The short term tension of Sami Salo’s impending return was reduced because of Alex Edler’s lengthy injury, so the Vancouver Canucks can ponder the defenseman’s comeback without reaching for an antacid or two. At least for now.
Salo began one of the most substantial parts of the rehab process today, as the team assigned him to the AHL’s Manitoba Moose (minor league sports teams have the best names, don’t they?) for a conditioning stint. The Globe & Mail reports that he might actually dress for the team’s game against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins tonight.
His most recent NHL appearance came during the team’s playoff run in May. The hard shooting Finn hasn’t hit the 70-games played mark since the 2003-04 season. He played in 68 games in 2009-10, scoring nine goals and 19 assists for 28 points. Salo could be a valuable commodity if he can get up to full speed by the playoffs, even if his $3.5 million cap hit can cause almost as many headaches as his slap shot.
We’ll keep you updated as Salo approaches in return with the big club.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)